Air compressor fittings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dance

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help? It's probably quite simple but I've never dabbled with air compressor fittings before as I've never had a mismatch.

Basically my air compressor tools screw on to the hose.

I want to buy a Makita AF505, which I gather uses a EURO connector.

Any ideas what I need to do to get the air flowing between the two?

Is it a case of snipping off the hose end, or is an adaptor available?

thanks!!

You need to decide whether you want to use pcl or euro connectors for your tools and hoses. They are different ways of doing the same thing ie. connecting tools and hoses to compressors. They are both based on a 'plug and socket' system and there are numerous adapters available to achieve different things. A good local tool shop should be able to steer you. You shouldn't have to screw your air tools onto the hose - there are all sorts of adapters that enable you to simply plug them in.

Just one tip - don't confuse air couplers with hydraulic - the bore size is different even though the couplers look the same.

What you need is quick release couplings.

There are lots of different types but the most common are PCL and euro. Pcl are longer, euro fittings are short and stubby. I believe there are quite a few different euro fittings but the are mostly interchangeable. Euro fittings have a larger bore size so are sometimes termed high flow.

The more confusing part is the huge options for the thread size, which can be male, female and all sorts of sizes, usually
pipe thread of quarter, three eighths, half inch.

If you have a Machine Mart near you most branches have a large selection of couplers so that you can go and see them in the flesh. If not at least get their catalogue. The 'usual' advice is that air tools should have a whip coupling, that is a short length of hose connected to the tool and then a coupler to join it to the air line. In practice as an amateur I've hardly ever done this, but occasionally I've accidentally disconnected the air line by misplacing my hand on the tool. You may want to consider one of the universally jointed connectors, I think Axminster sell them. I have them fitted to the pinners and nailers in my workshop as they reduce the pull of the hose and so make it easier to get the nailer into position.

Tony Comber

Thanks, guys. Only problem is that neither of the ads make it clear which adaptor goes which way, unless I'm being particularly stupid! That is, if I want (as I do) to fit a tool with a mail euro end to a female PCL, which one do I need?

Hiya Dick - thanks - you seem to have exactly the same question as what prompted me to start this thread!

dickm":11ucsf1d said:
Thanks, guys. Only problem is that neither of the ads make it clear which adaptor goes which way, unless I'm being particularly stupid! That is, if I want (as I do) to fit a tool with a mail euro end to a female PCL, which one do I need?
I've got a bit lost. I assume you have a PCL female push in fitting on your compressor hose?

If so why not just change the male Euro fitting on the Makita to PCL a male?

Have I missed something?

Every air tool I own has a removable screw-in connector so I imagine all tools are the same.
So what the problem to just change the connector on any new tool (if it's wrong) to suit your compressor airline?

If you look at shipbadgers ebay link and select the adaptors by description you get a picture of the item which is better than 1000 words.

dickm":3c70yd1e said:
True, Roger, but the reason for asking is that I have a mixture of tools, some one and some the other, so snap-in adaptors would save some messing around.
Or bite the bullet and change the whole lot to one system. That's what I ended up doing. Packs of 5 male fittings are quite cheap.

RogerP":2jul7rvd said:
Every air tool I own has a removable screw-in connector so I imagine all tools are the same.
So what the problem to just change the connector on any new tool (if it's wrong) to suit your compressor airline?

In my case (can't speak for Dicky) the Makita's connector is thread locked on.

Back