Agency Work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerBoyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys quick question for any agency workers on here,
Is it usual to have to supply the following details before getting offered any work

• Passport
• Driving Licence
• Proof of NI Number
• Proof of Address

My Nephew has been contacted by an agency with a view to him attending an interview on some general labouring duties on a social housing project

I can understand the National insurance number and Proof of address but not the rest of it

Cheers
Roger

sounds like they're guarding against illegal workers in the black economy. If it's social housing it may be that the agency has been bound by those terms by their (public sector) client.

RogerBoyle":rnhrs4vh said:
Hi guys quick question for any agency workers on here,
Is it usual to have to supply the following details before getting offered any work

• Passport
• Driving Licence
• Proof of NI Number
• Proof of Address

My Nephew has been contacted by an agency with a view to him attending an interview on some general labouring duties on a social housing project

I can understand the National insurance number and Proof of address but not the rest of it

Cheers
Roger

Yes, it's normal. It's proof that you have a right to work in this country.

Penny":3p5mdveq said:

So... if you don't have a driving license or a passport you don't have a right to work? As Roger said, I can understand the NI number and proof of address, and if you're expected to drive things in the course of employment the driving license makes sense, but passport seems unnecessary and ridiculous.

JakeS":o59tgpk0 said:
Penny":o59tgpk0 said:

So... if you don't have a driving license or a passport you don't have a right to work? As Roger said, I can understand the NI number and proof of address, and if you're expected to drive things in the course of employment the driving license makes sense, but passport seems unnecessary and ridiculous.

Glad its just not me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I honestly thought it was some kind of Scam when I first heard him tell me about this but now I'm not too sure LOL

Roger

Is it a genuine agency tbh i dont give those sort of details out without knowing a lot more about the who im giving them to and why
with those sort of details i would hate to think what sort of scam can be done with them

What can they do with a passport copy that they can't do with a driving licence copy? I would have no worries about giving them a copy. It's just a picture with a date of issue really.

I would black out the passport number though.

passport or certificate of residence for non UK nationals is confirmation of identity and is legaly the only thing apart from a military ID or warrant card that may be accepted as proof of identity
NI card and proof of address, proof of right to work in UK as a registered domiciled tax payer
drivers licence used to be included but is no longer as the paper portion which was used to confirm address is no longer valid

this is the minimum HMRC will accept as proof that an employer is not hiring illegally and that you as the employee are in fact you

It's exactly what I was asked to take along for a warehouse job about 10 years ago, so sounds about right. Most people have a provisional driving licence, but if you don't have one they're generally not fussed. Unless you're going for a driving job. Most of them have a big list of stuff to bring along and I suspect it's just to cover bases really. Easier to have all the paperwork ahead of time really.

I think it's usual for any job nowadays. I had to provide those docs recently for my job and I'd already been working there for 3 years!

Latest posts

Back