African Sekelbos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a turner (not yet) so I can not really comment on its suitability as a timber for turning.
It is a fairly durable hardwood species and I have spent many memorable evenings around a campfire made with this particular tree it is an excellent bbq timber. I know that many of the African tribes carve walking sticks and tool handles from this tree so it may turn well. It is wide spread over Africa and is non toxic and an easily distinguishable tree with tough thorns that can even puncture a tractor tyre.
In the South African bushveld it is an indicative of overgrazing on farm land and the leaves and seed pods are browsed by both domestic and wild animals..

Thanks for that JandK have not seen it in the flesh yet just someone locally selling bags for firewood which seems strange shipping firewood from Africa

I spoke to the supplier today a lot of it is split but he is going to look out some hole logs should get them next week

Latest posts

Back