Advice where to buy good value sandpaper and which type?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to see where people get sandpaper. I'm quite new to woodworking and i've read I should get the alumnium oxide stuff as thats more expensive but lasts longer so it more economical.

I can see theres some rolls on axminster and screwfix also do some.

Is this resin bonded one good for hand use? http://www.axminster.co.uk/hermes-resin ... prod21075/

It says ideal for machine use, but does that mean is okay for using on a pad or hand?

They also do sheets called Perdurable Aluminium Oxide http://www.axminster.co.uk/hermes-perdu ... prod19874/

Any advice? Thanks

what are you using it on? flat work or turning.

i have had a load from ebay, from builders merchants and from tool station. all of it has been pretty average. in fairness, i likely bought the cheapest or only option.

the best stuff i have had is abranet. This is for my random orbital sander, but i would definitely get some sheets when i next need something. it is not cheap, but well worth it. you can also get a hand sanding block that attaches to the dust extractor which is worth a look. seems to last longer than "normal sandpaper"

Non turning work is what I need it for.

Thanks for the suggestions, ill look at the abranet paper. I bought a 5meter roll today at b&q as I happened to be there, it was not their own brand and is the aluminium oxide white kind of paper. I guess sometimes you just need to go through trial and error unless you have someone directly teaching you.

I use the paper abrasive belts sold for use on big pad sanding machines, its the most rigid paper backed sandpaper i have found and it doesnt work out very expensive...

I should add i use this mainly for removing sharp edges....

Latest posts

Back