Advice required: Best Table saw for £100

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plan I have for a sawboard came be made in two parts that are joined when you need to cut a full sheet ( from one of the Smith shop books on jigs ) :)

Gary S":fv6abf41 said:
How about...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

Just under £200 and says it's suitable for "Light Trade"?

I got one of these last year as part of my 40th Birthday Pressie :D

And actually I have been reasonably pleased with it, it is very noisy particularily when it starts up, I haven't noticed to much inaccuracy on the fence and it lock tight at the front and you have got a clamp screw at the back and the mitre slot is fairly tight. Yes the tables aren't very big but actually they slide out on guides to make them wider.

I guess it depends what you want to use it for it, if you want a quick and reasonably accurate way of dimensioning smaller pieces of sheet material and general stock it works fine but it isn't going to compete with the £400+ cast iron ones.

I would probably recommend going to see and hear one if you can. Certainly it is reasonable step up in quality from the £100ish Ferm and B&Q specials.

But don't take too much note of what I say because I am no craftsman (yet :) )

Thanks all for the advice, suggestions and WARNINGS!!

I've decided to go for a (hopefully!) decent Circular Saw instead. I currently have a Screwfix "Ferm" circ saw which was cheap and is great for rough cutting but it's not quite refined enough for very straight, accurate cuts :x

I have purchased a Makita 7 1/2 inch Circular Saw (Model 5704RK) - brand new off ebay for £75 inc postage compared to £89.99 from Screwfix. Hopefully nobody will tell me this is a duff! (I have a cordless drill drives from Makita and love it - that was a good enough reason for me to go with their circ saw!).

I will spend a bit of time making a decent straight cutting jig for it - I've seen some good examples in books and on t'internet. It'll take up less space in the workshop and HOPEFULLY give me much better results than a £100 table saw would.

The main lesson learnt:

When you feel the need to spend money on a new power tool and people tell you not to, just think of a DIFFERENT power tool to spend your money on instead... :lol:

Cheers

Gary

good choice Gary. I have heard good things about Makita CS. I think you will learn a lot from going down the CS route.

I have also got a Makita 190 mm saw and it is great for hand-held use. I also have the big Triton 235 mm saw in the Workcentre but that is a bit of a beast for hand use.

Latest posts

Back