Advice or help with job..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've made decision last year to jump and start to work on my own... I have about 20 years experience in furniture design and woodworking (furniture and cabinet making, joinery, carpentry). And it wasn't bad decision, I was quite busy (especially thank's to one client) , but this year didn't started so well. And at this moment I have no work at all.
I understand it takes time to build client network, but..
So I'm thinking about finding a job. And doing woodworking as my 2nd job in my spare time. ?
My question is - does anyone know about some job in Midlands area? Or needs help in his busy workshop? Or something else?
Any advice or help will be appreciated!
Cheers, Frank

PS: CV and sample pics of my work available upon request..

Hi Frank

Have you tried the job centre? Or universal job match as it is now called. :roll:

https://www.gov.uk/jobsearch

Most of the jobs will be through an agency, however there have been some bench carpenters jobs this month, plus quite a few for exhibition/ shop fitting within the midlands area.

Hi Carl, thx, well, I'm checking these sources, of course, there is a few jobs (shop fitters, 1st/2nd fix carpenters..), but - most of those jobs expect to have CSCS card ( I never needed this bloody thing, I could get it of course, it just takes another month of time), van ( I don't have a van - I always rented one when I needed) and ANOTHER kit of 110V machines.... And I don't have the money for all of this at this moment..

Ahh yes i see your point. I'm finding it harder to get work myself. While i have the cscs card ( easy to get as questions are common sense answers ) I have no qualifications as i am self taught. An nvq will cost me £1200, C&G will cost me a quarter of that but is not accepted by the cscs people anymore for qualifying for the experienced workers card.

While it is a pain, you can work from a car although not ideal. Some places still don't require the cscs card, i spotted one the other week. But as you say, the lack of 110v tools is the big hurdle.

My advice is to get the CSCS card as it's another string to your bow, I did several mock tests over a week using a computer testing cd at home and then went to the test centre for the test, I was only in the building 20 mins as said above most are easy common sense answers.

Steve

Just out of interest, what have you done to try and drum up some business for yourself? Leaflet drops? Cards through doors? Other advertising? Are you strictly sticking to woodie-related work, e.g. would you do painting? Have you tried calling previous customers and letting them know that you also do e.g. painting? Have you tried calling around other carpenter/cabinetmakers/joiners to see if they need help? FWIW I'd love to have someone like you available as an extra pair of hands, or to do e.g. my installations...

Forgive me if this sounds like I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here, but I do think you're energies would be better channelled into making the best of your current business, rather than taking on a full-time job and trying to 'fit in' woodwork jobs on the side.

Just my two-penneth; hope you can work it out.

Best, Pete

Hi frank I perhaps have an opportunity for you? I own a medium sized joinery company in coleshill and have around 8 people working for me. I use agency labour from time to time so always have a requirement for a pair of experienced hands.

I used to be known as mark270981 on here.

Perhaps you would like to send me your cv?

I would like to thank to all of you for your ideas. I really appreciate that!

I think if I'll get CSCS card it could be useful.
And I think I must focus on marketing - finish website (I already have registered domain), some leaflets, potential sources of work, ...
And spread the word between local joiners, exhibition companies, kitchen selling studios would also help I guess ...
Just push harder ;-)
Cheers!

Mark, PM sent, thx!!

During your quiet periods why not knock up some quality items to sell. How about a nice car full and once completed do a few craft fairs etc... Even if you don't sell much it might lead to some comisions but I would definitely get that website / showroom finished first.

As I mentioned in previous post, I have domain, but the website is not finished yet.. And it's on top of my priority list.
And I have bunch of sketches of my own designs, but I don't have money to buy the timber :)
I was expecting one job, which would be for good money and almost half year work, but someone else got it...
If I would have it, I wouldn't be here lookin' for work ....
Cheers!

Don't talk about it - just do it!

Practise what thee preaches. I'm sorry that sounds a poor excuse in my limited experience timber can range from free - v expensive. If I had the skills and the tools I wouldn't let lack of finances keep me from turning my paper plans into reality.

Thank you, Mr_P, for your kind help and advice.
Would you please let me know where I can get kiln-dried wood for free?
It would help me a lot... ;-)

coyot":3kj2ndku said:
Thank you, Mr_P, for your kind help and advice.
Would you please let me know where I can get kiln-dried wood for free?
It would help me a lot... ;-)
Ooooh i'm up for some of that KD timber. If i can choose? Some black walnut, curly maple, english walnut, and some cherry please :mrgreen:

Somebody with 20 years experience should be able to call in a favour or two.

Failing that go for a wander around a well populated area until you find a skip. I recently rescued a very solid chest of drawers from a friends shed. Sadly the shed leaked so the base was rotten but it wasn't a problem as it wouldn't fit in the car without breaking it up anyway and all the drawers were good and solid. I recently put my hand in my pocket and bought some very expensive hardwood flooring that is 3/4" thick and covered in bitcumen for £10 a square metre.

Free timber is out there you just need to look / ask. Might be a problem if you want to build big things but you could always build minatures for a craft fair to show of your skills.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Victor ... 1e79d09aef

I was quiet after christmas.
I told myself that I would never use Ebay (thought it was naff to be honest)/
But i looked at all the shabby chic painted furniture around and thought " I can do that", so bought a few things at auction and from the local free ads and did them up ( I do have a workshop which obivously helps) and sold the lot.
Ok some things I sold I made a loss or nothing on, but other pieces have done really well. But the best part of it is that i have had so many enquires about making bespoke or sourcing specific pieces of furniture
It wont pay all the bills but it has been an eye opener, worth a try. And believe me its so easy compared to cabinet making, you could do it standing on your head, even got the wife to paint them!

Regards

davin

davin":ae9cshfz said:
But i looked at all the shabby chic painted furniture around and thought " I can do that", so bought a few things at auction and from the local free ads and did them up ( I do have a workshop which obivously helps) and sold the lot.
Ok some things I sold I made a loss or nothing on, but other pieces have done really well. But the best part of it is that i have had so many enquires about making bespoke or sourcing specific pieces of furniture
It wont pay all the bills but it has been an eye opener, worth a try. And believe me its so easy compared to cabinet making, you could do it standing on your head, even got the wife to paint them!

Regards

davin

I think you've just given some of the best bit of advice possible Davin.
There are "goners" and "doers". The doers are proactive and can usually see and grasp an opportunity whilst the goners just talk a good story.

There are opportunities out there with a bit of lateral thinking and a degree of flexibility for anyone who looks hard enough. If I was short of money and work I'd be on the computer making flyers and shoving them through doors. It's surprising how much time you can find and how little sleep is needed if the motivation is strong enough! I have been there in the early days and it really needs a step back sometimes to make sure your plans are still relevant.

BTW coyot, did you take up Mark-numbers offer and send him your cv?

cheers

Bob

Lons":2glfao4w said:
davin":2glfao4w said:

Regards

davin

I think you've just given some of the best bit of advice possible Davin.
There are "goners" and "doers". The doers are proactive and can usually see and grasp an opportunity whilst the goners just talk a good story.

There are opportunities out there with a bit of lateral thinking and a degree of flexibility for anyone who looks hard enough. If I was short of money and work I'd be on the computer making flyers and shoving them through doors. It's surprising how much time you can find and how little sleep is needed if the motivation is strong enough! I have been there in the early days and it really needs a step back sometimes to make sure your plans are still relevant.

BTW coyot, did you take up Mark-numbers offer and send him your cv?

cheers

Bob

Tried that route with the flyers etc a few years back Printed off 2500 and delivered
What a complete waste off time Most folks binned them straight away.
I got 4 calls from them
Number one call wanted a Felt roof replacing on a 12 mtr extension but had a budget of £80
Nimber two wanted advice on building a dog kennel
Number three wanted to know how long it should have taken her carpenter to fit a door
and number four wanted me to pop round and give her advice on what tree she had in her Garden

Of the guys around here that i know that have tried leaflet drops/flyers I have yet to hear of anybody making any money from them to at least cover thier costs
Not saying thats the case in other areas but it is in South derbyshire

Roger

I've just been doing a new business course, and on the marketing section they said that for flyers to be effective, you have to hit the same houses 9 times at roughly the same time and day every week for them to remember your message.
They actually remember you because they're fed up of recovering the flyers.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

RogerBoyle":azxrpi7u said:
Tried that route with the flyers etc a few years back Printed off 2500 and delivered
What a complete waste off time Most folks binned them straight away.
I got 4 calls from them
Number one call wanted a Felt roof replacing on a 12 mtr extension but had a budget of £80
Nimber two wanted advice on building a dog kennel
Number three wanted to know how long it should have taken her carpenter to fit a door
and number four wanted me to pop round and give her advice on what tree she had in her Garden

Of the guys around here that i know that have tried leaflet drops/flyers I have yet to hear of anybody making any money from them to at least cover thier costs
Not saying thats the case in other areas but it is in South derbyshire

Roger

Worked for me when I first started Roger but that was 16 years ago and I live in a very rural community. Some of those leaflets are actually still in existence which absolutely amazes me. The principle of leaflet drop must still be largely valid as the big boys carefully scrutinise results and we wouldn't be still getting bucket loads through the letterbox. Doesn't take many jobs to repay the cost (if you do it yourself) and there's the real possibility of customer loyalty and repeat business. Evwery area and business is different so one size clearly doesn't fit all!

In my particular case I never need to advertise as 70% of my business is regular customers and the rest referrals.
As an example, I got a conservatory job last year followed by a kitchen and bathroom from a couple who had seen one of my conservatories on a house they considered buying. The householder praised my work and though they didn't buy that particular house, they sought me out for work on the house they did eventually buy. I've since had 2 other jobs from neighbours they've given my name to..... BUT... I had to work very hard in the early days, including taking jobs I didn't want to do, to get to the stage where my reputation allows me to be more selective.

My point wasn't really that leaflets was necessarily the way to go but rather that there are always ways forward for those prepared to make the effort.

If I couldn't afford wood I'd be knocking on the doors of businesses for pallets, scrap ply or anything else of use. For tools, I'd be at the bootsales or on freecycle, salerooms, wanted adds.... whatever. If my priority was for internet sales then I'd work day and night to get my website up and running.

Sometimes people just have to do things to make enough money to enable them to move in the direction they aspire to. It doesn't often just "happen". I know a number of people who have sky high ambitions but would never be willing to do what it takes to get there and can't understand why they never will! :?

Bob

Back