Advice on the best router table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some advice.

I have just acquired a Triton router and have decided to make a new table for it.

I've seen the router table insert in the Axminster catalogue but I'm not convinced by the comment that it is made slightly crowned to avoid sagging. I would much rather it was just flat and strong enough to avoid sagging at all.

Has anyone used one of these plates and if so has it proved OK or does it sag?

Also, has anyone used a more substantial one and if so, which one?

Many thanks
Mike

I have just bought one too and am planning on doing exactly the same. There is an actual dedicated Triton router plate that you can get from the website. I have read some very good things about it.

Cheers

James

I had a rosseau had no end of grief getting it flat if you look back through my posts you'll see how I did it, it's OK...

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20283
The pc7518 version has holes set for the Triton and includes the mounting screws to suit. This is made by woodpeckers. If you order it comes by Fedex in a couple of days. Another alternative is
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/
Magna-LOCK Plates include 3 Magna-LOCK Rings (1", 2-1/8" and 3-5/8") £72.85 + p&p (novem price)
Woodpecker Aluminium Un-drilled Router Plate ………………………………………........£72.00 +P&P (Novem price)
No connection just showing the balance. I went with woodcraft because I have used them before and wanted to order some ceramic stones much cheaper than UK.
As a point of interest the first plate I recieved was faullty in that the rings sat 0.5mm high on one side I contacted woodcraft who immediately sent a replacement it was here in two days on Xmas eve. Haven't had a chance to fit it into the table yet but I do not envisage any problem with flex :)
EDIT: Forgot to add I bought the extra ring set too they were half the UK price so it started to cost in.
Alan

Sawdust":8rlk8g56 said:
I'm not convinced by the comment that it is made slightly crowned to avoid sagging. I would much rather it was just flat and strong enough to avoid sagging at all.

Has anyone used one of these plates and if so has it proved OK or does it sag?
Whoever put that comment on the Axminster site wants educating. The plate is 3/8" thick and WILL NOT sag anyway. The (very slight) crown is designed by the originators (Rousseau) so that the centre of the plate is the highest point. See here (Router Accessories, Baseplates) or here.

I've used Rousseau inserts for years and have never had any problems with them. The clones may have poorer specs, however.

Ray.

Yes, steer clear of the Rousseau, more trouble than it's worth.
If you can't stomach the price of the (rather excellent)Woodpecker, you might try the Tilgear one. I'm very pleased with it. It's not in the same league as the Woodpecker, but it's not much more than the Rousseau and HEAPS better. I've had both. I think I did a review of it somewhere on here.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, how much did you pay for the Tilgear one, please?

The other alternative is to make your own, I guess. I've been told Tufnol is a good material, but where do you buy it? I wonder how much a sheet of this aluminium would cost...?

I need to do something with my Bosch router table too. It's a shame neither of these plates will fit the 186mmx186mm opening. :( So, I may have to make my own table instead. :wink:

Hi Olly
Well I'm not certain but I seem to remember it was about £30. It's not in their catalogue unfortunately, it was in one of their flyers IIRC, but I do remember it wasn't much more than a Trend/ Rousseau/ Axi one.

The Woodpecker is the bees knees, but this is not a bad substitute and less than half the price.

Cheers
Steve

The other alternative is to make your own, I guess

Before you go to that hassle make me an offer for my fairly well flattened rosseau plate countersunk drilled for the Triton. (not neatly but effectively :)- fabled screws included

Alan

Mike.C":1m27qh95 said:
Hi Mike,

I have got this one http://www.woodpeck.com/aluminsert.html ( so does motownmartin) which you can get from http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/woodpeckers.htm

It comes specially drilled for the Triton router and has 8 leveling screws so that you can make sure it is level with the table. It also comes with 3 ali inserts.

Its a bit more expensive then other makes but it is well worth the money.

HTH

Cheers

Mike
I agree with Mike, well worth the money, if you want a trouble free and accurate Router Table get the best insert plate

Woody Alan":332zijzx said:
drilled for the Triton. (not neatly but effectively) Alan

I wonder what he means by that :lol:

Didn't get it right first time?

No Gary I got it right. I am not that much of a cluts (well not always). It's just that unless you have an engineering countersink it's difficult to get the slope of the holes to match perfectly so I was less than pleased but I imagine nobody would notice, if I didn't mention it.
Oh and should anyone want to drill the holes be aware that the circles marked on the back of the plate are not perfectly circular the diameter varies slightly, which is really handy.

Alan

Steve Maskery":2obw3h3o said:
Yes, steer clear of the Rousseau, more trouble than it's worth.If you can't stomach the price of the (rather excellent)Woodpecker, you might try the Tilgear one. I'm very pleased with it. It's not in the same league as the Woodpecker, but it's not much more than the Rousseau and HEAPS better. I've had both. I think I did a review of it somewhere on here.

Cheers
Steve

I bow to thee oh great one ( :D ) but I've had my Triton in a Rousseau for some time now and haven't had any problems. On what basis do you think it's more trouble?

That Woodpecker does look rather tasty though!

Hi Stuart
Come on, I don't claim to be great at anything.

My gripes about the Rousseau are well documented on here, just search. But in a nutshell:

The "crowning" is supposed to increase accuracy, but in my experience it just makes the workpiece wobble. Also if you have a mitre slot running front front-to-back, as I do, then the workpiece just fouls as soon as it hits it, becasue the workpiece just doesn't sit flat on the table.

Also, the inner ring on mine was so tight I had to use the rise and fall of my router to pop it out. It was all just too much trouble. I'm much happier with the Tilgear one. But each to his own.

S

Thanks for all the feedback on this.

I'm still worried about the crowned plates and although the Woodpecker one looks nice, I feel that £75 on a metal plate is a bit steep.

I'm very tempted to go for the Tilgear one which seems to offer what I want, i.e a flat plate without costing a fortune.

Cheers
Mike

I just got this one. 3/8" thick. aluminium plate. about 10x13". rings and pegs levelling screws etc.
Cost inc shipping from Canada £42.00

routerplate.jpg

I'm planning on making my own temporary insert plate for my Bosch table and I'm now wondering if it's possible to buy an affordable set of insert rings which I can fit to my Tufnol plate?

I've seen the Woodworker's Workshop ones, but they seem a tad expensive? Just wondering what else is around. Thanks.

OPJ":q7zjj8ml said:
I'm planning on making my own temporary insert plate for my Bosch table and I'm now wondering if it's possible to buy an affordable set of insert rings which I can fit to my Tufnol plate?

I've seen the Woodworker's Workshop ones, but they seem a tad expensive? Just wondering what else is around. Thanks.

OPJ, sorry for the daft question but can I check, are the insert rings purely there to fill in the 'fresh air' between the cutter and the insert plate ?

thanks

paul

Back