Advice on Lathe Choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewan

Reaction score
I’m an experienced amateur woodworker but am new to turning (have just done a short course) and am looking for advice on lathe choice.

I’m not sure where my turning will take me so want something that keeps my options open. I imagine I will want to do bowl and spindle turning. Spindle turning likely to tuned parts for furniture (table legs, chair spindles) I don’t see myself doing a lot of small stuff (like pens) or indeed vey big stuff, but probably want the option for overhang face turning

I have a budget of around £1,000 or so for a new lathe which I would like to include essential accessories. I have plenty of space in my ground floor workshop which has a concrete floor so weight and size are not a particular problem. I have looked at the Axminster JVL1442 which seems like a possible choice.

I welcome suggestions as to possible options and also a view as to what I should consider “essential accessories” – I already have dust extraction and a well equipped workshop lacking only a lathe and specific turning tools/accessories.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Ewan

I'd recommend you make contact with your local woodturning club - check out the branches section of the AWGB website http://www.woodturners.co.uk/ - and speak to the members there regarding lathe selection - if your local club is anything like mine there will be plenty of people there happy for you to visit their workshops to have at look at their own lathes and tools and also advise you regarding your own lathe choice.

As to the "essentials" you should budget for along with a lathe, there are obviously the turning tools themselves - and before buying any of these I'd recommend you read Keith Rowley's book "Woodturning : A Foundation Course" - which covers what tools are used for what, and how to use them.

You will also need a method of sharpening your turning tools - and if you already have a grinder or linisher in your workshop, this may just be a need for some jigs specific to sharpening woodturning tools (especially the bowl & spindle gouges)

You will also find a scroll chuck for holding the work in the lathe is a very useful addition - there are a number of different makes available, in the £100 - £150 price range, and you need to know the spindle size of your lathe before buying one to suit.

There are plenty of other woodturning & lathe accessories available of course - but I would recommend holding off on buying too much until you actually done some turning and know what direction your work is going to take.

Hi,

The lathe you mention is in fact a Jet lathe and they are well known for their build quality etc. However Axminster are no slouch either and you may want to consider the following: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod781099/

The main advantage is the full spec electronic variable speed control which is preferable to variomatic.

The advice from Kym, however, is very good. As an experienced woodworker you will know how important correct tool selection is.

Happy hunting!

Ray

Hi
Not disagreeing with Kym and not wanting to hijack the thread, but I have been considering lathe choice with a not too dissimilar budget.
I have been considering the Jet 1442, the Jet 1642 which were my leanings having already had a chiwanese 550w motored lathe to cut my teeth and discover what Turning is about. The 1642 is above budget but close enough to be held out for if that is the advice.
I keep coming back to the Axminster AWVSWL 1200 for what it does for the money.
I would love to hear thoughts,opinions and experiences in order that I get it right this time.
Colin

Wood spoiler":2pwa87cp said:
Hi
Not disagreeing with Kym and not wanting to hijack the thread, but I have been considering lathe choice with a not too dissimilar budget.
I have been considering the Jet 1442, the Jet 1642 which were my leanings having already had a chiwanese 550w motored lathe to cut my teeth and discover what Turning is about. The 1642 is above budget but close enough to be held out for if that is the advice.
I keep coming back to the Axminster AWVSWL 1200 for what it does for the money.
I would love to hear thoughts,opinions and experiences in order that I get it right this time.
Colin

Ive got one of those and its a fantastic lathe and great value for the price - it enables you to do 18" over the bed and the 2hp variable speed motor has plenty of grunt for centre saving etc

3 points to be aware of

a) the motor is a DC direct drive , not a inverted three phase like you find on vimarcs etc - personally i dont think this matters - but some have said you get more torque and better long levity with the latter system (but you pay a lot more for it)

b) the castings on the legs are a bit rough - it took me about half an hour with a sanding block to smooth them all off

c) The head doesnt rotate - which if you are coming from an M900 can be a bit of a problem cos yopu have to get used to working over the bed. That said if you workshop layout allows it you can get an outboard extension which allows you to do 30" dia by sliding you headstock to the end of the bed

One other point if you do get one is that when you unpack it it comes with the cast legs bolted in apile on top of the bed - which isnt obvious at first - so you can give yourself a hernia trying to lift them out - in the end I broke the sides of the packing case in order to get a socket on the transport bolts to undo them.

Well I have just invested in a Record CL4 with the variable speed drive inverter connected to a three phase motor - all I can say is that it is superb!

The build quality is very good and the torque supplied by the motor arrangements is excellent at all speeds, right down to 13rpm! (Yes 13)

I have had a number of different lathes in my career starting with a coronet elf and moving on over the years right up to the monster that I have at one end of my workshop which will turn tree trunks, albeit I still have the elf.

All I can say is that turning on the record last night I was in awe of what I could actually do with it - whisper quiet too!

The CL4 VSLK gets my vote.

Rog

I have not used any of the larger Axminster lathes, but I had a smal AVSL one and it was great, really good build quality.

I now have a CL4, I can agree that the motor and spindle are top notch (the motors are currently built in Germany). The only thing I would say about it is that the stand is not much cop, even with all 96 bolts in tightly it can still twist if you put an unbalanced piece in the lathe in outboard mode.

I had a look at the Record CL4 variable speed but was concerned by the lack of swing over bed and the lack of mass in the lathe thinking that it would rattle and jump about if used with anything off centre or too big hence the shortlist excluding it.

Wood spoiler":3slyqcyr said:
lack of mass in the lathe

Did you try to lift it? The twin bars are solid steel - I could only lift one at a time and i'm not exactly small :lol: :lol:

The Headstock is also a solid casting, as are all the mountings & bowl turning attachment.

Personally I have found it solid/heavy enough so far

Rog

Be aware though that there are lots of concerns in forum world about the quality of record products and their after sales service and after sales advice.

I am surprised by the lack of contribution on this thread and would have expected lots of comment for and against all contributions.

Presumably those that have various machines don't have comparative knowledge of the alternatives.

Would be pleased to hear reports of owners of the 3 quoted machines (as per BSM) to hear ability to handle different work types to gauge a capacity and suitability for the different uses and work employed for.

Colin

i think a lot of people have said replied on previous threads and therefore arent rehashing yet again - fwiw richard findley has the jet if you want to pm and ask him for input.

my feeling is that its an equally good lathe to the 1200 anddoes have a rotating head - but it doesnt iirc have electronic variable speed - its a reeves drive i think, and also its only 1hp

Hi,

I have the JET JWL1442 lathe.

I've only recently upgraded to this lathe from a Record DML36SH, and I can say that so far I am over the moon with it.

It is very solidly built and feels extremely substantial and robust. I have had no experience of rough casting anywhere on the lathe and it looks great too.

I would suggest you check out the following link from my site:

http://www.moodwood.co.uk/index.aspx?pageid=504130

It is a little pictorial journey of my lathe from boxed to up and running. It will give you a good idea of what to expect if you where to go for this model, how it's packed, how easy it is to put together, and an idea of it's size and looks in situe.

After doing much research and seeking advice from Richard Findlay, I bought mine from Axminster. I think the cost is very good and based on the fact that Richard has been production turning with his for over 5 years with no problems.

At the bottom of the lathe thread on my site you will also find a link for the full specs of the machine. Have a look and see if this fits with what you hope to achieve with it.

HTH?

Cheers,

Lee.

[/url]

Hi lee
I remember your thread well and working through your arrival day (EIP I believe)
Glad your enjoying it. Did you weigh up the rotating headstock vs variable speed?
Ps did you finish your stools for your sister?
Colin

For a grand you might want to get 2 or 3 different lathes for various things rather than just 1 and look at the used market first. I would almost make a decent big bandsaw a top priority. As people say it depends on what you want to do. Naturally you cannot make massive bowls and lamps on a tiny lathe but you can make tiny objects on a big lathe. You can go to clubs and wood shows and get lots of advice and see various machines in action obviously also you can check all the manufacturers websites.
At the end of the day it is not about the lathe. I can buy you the best bike in the world but it doesn't mean to say you will win the Tour de France.

John. B":1alz61mv said:
Well, I have the Ax 1200 and IMCO, for the price you'll not find a better lathe.

John. B

i agree - if it had a rotating headstock it would be perfick, but its pretty damn good anyway

Back