Advice on Internal French Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieC54

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of french doors between my lounge and my dining room, these currently open into the lounge.
My beloved SWMBO wants the doors to open into the dining room.

Do I have to do a proper job - i.e remove all the architraving, the door frame, replace the door frame the other way round, replace the architraving etc. or could I just make a recess in the other side of the frame and move the doors to the other side. ?
It is a relatively new house so the door frame and architraving are mdf.

Just cut the hinges in the other side and fill the old ones.

That's the 'proper job', so don't worry about that. Taking everything down and reversing it would be an 'improper job' - like taking an engine out to do an oil change.

The best way of filling the old hinge rebates is by cutting a bit of wood to the length of the hinge rebate but a bit over-sized in width and depth (so it sticks out a bit), gluing it in, planing it down, and just using filler to fill any small gaps left (if any).

It's much easier to get an invisible neat flat finish that way than trying to do the whole lot with a filler.

Stevie,if the frame is a non rebated frame then you can do as Jake said.
However if your frame has a rebate on it then it looks as if you will have to take it out and turn it around.
By non rebated I mean a standard double door lining has been used,and ordinary door stop used to shut the doors too.

Mark.

It's probably stop beaded so you may have to pull those off do what jake says and then refit the stops to suit.

Thanks so far everybody.

The frame is rebated.
Would it be possible to fit the doors within the existing frame (cut down to fit) and then adding door stop beading ?

You could always put length of mdf into the current rebate and make it so that it sticks out over 10mm, then it would form a rebate on the opposite side for you. However, be careful with how much your taking off the doors, if there not solid wood then you will end up having not much of a door left! If they are real wood, just make sure enough timber will be left on after to make it a strong door still. Make sure you plane all the sides equally. Width and height will be affected.

I agree with the other Simon, but you may have to put a rebate in the mdf bit you add to bring it forward enough. What are the doors made of?
Simon

Latest posts

Back