Advice on door frame sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattatooi

Reaction score
I am opening up a previous blocked door opening for side door in garage. It is single brick, 4" deep.

I have got a solid oak door second hand. Just want some advice on what sizes of timber I should get for building the door frame. I am thinking of opening it outwards.

So the previous hole gap once cut will be 32 1/2" wide by 79 1/2" height (internally, on the outside the height appears to be 80" to bottom brick. So its around that height..)

The door I have is 29 3/4 wide (at its widest point) and 77" Height. The door is off by 1/4 inch top and bottom width. Top is 29 1/2" w and bottom 29 3/4" w.

What timber size would I best be getting for the frame? Would it be easier to plane down the door to make it more square? This would then leave me with a 29 1/2" door, which would leave me total of 3 1/4 inch gap. If I did this, I could install 1 1/2" wide frame on the sides? For the height 1 1/2" would prob do as well, which could be plane a bit and allows me space to put some type of threshold bit in?

Regarding timber, should I be getting treated stuff? Think I got some exterior wood stain I can use on it. Also once frame is all in, what is best to seal up gaps? Silicone? I will then install an architrave on the outside and seal that off. Is this best method. Have I missed anything?

Oh also, whats best way to fit frame to wall. 6mm plugs?

Any tips? Cheers.

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back