Advice needed on table saws are Charnwood any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishdesigns

Reaction score
looking at buying one of these or a altervnite if someone can sugegst one done ebay and cant find any thing around 500 to 600 thats not down south with issues.

so my options are due to 3yrs cover

W629 Charnwood 10" at ££676.99

or the 8" at Charnwood W619 8" Table saw with sliding table & extension. 1.5hp quiet induction motor. - £532.99

i will be cutting oak, ash beech and sapele wood for making chopping boards and serving platters. in large no's but only use the saw prob 3 days per week solid and then odd cuts.

so is 1.5 motor to low rated do you think ofr cutting hard wood at around 1.5 inches deep?

or is there a cheaper saw that can do the work well, don't need top finish on cuts as will be cleaning up using planner etc.

but want to buy once not twice with this saw.

tips advice welcome. i am used to using a triton saw that has to many issues and needs to go!

thanks in advance.

also neeed to buy shop vac or dust removal suitable for use so any advice on a good match under the £3oo mark would be great too.

Given the amount of work you want to do, I would hold out for a 2nd hand saw.

Startrite, multico, wadkin, scheppach, jet etc.

Example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Startrite-Saw ... Swo4pYgmks

I know its frustrating waiting to find what you want in your area, but a table saw is a common item for sale and one will come up.

I think some people here have the charnwood so compare the solidity with 2nd hand. I believe they are quite good saws but not in the same league. An older cast saw will hold its value better

If I needed a tool to work 3 days a week solid I wouldn't be looking at brands like Charnwood.
Maybe something in Axminster's trade series would fit the bill.

The T619 is basically the the original Axminster Ts200 mk1 with a nice steel box for a stand and a different fence. If you don't want the slider, you can save money by buying the Axy TS200 Mk2 without the slider and benefit from the improvements that Axy have made e.g. Better fence, slightly bigger table.

These are all Kity clones, so If you want something approaching a real Kity you could either buy the Scheppach Precisa 2.0 or I think they still have the original Kity for sale on the Scheppach site.

Thanks for the tips, read about the saw and have seen the ebay saw thought it needed a fair bit of tlc so havent bidded im used to buying second hand so that was 1st option but not much about. the charwood istnt great i know. when i say three day use that prob over used word on my part looking at around 3 hrs a day spread over the day.

still adice is good and had looked and site saws but steered clear as they dont seem to be able to cut the 2" and above that i need to cut through in hard woods. fingers crossed just got £330 saving by buying a axminster planner thicknesser used it before so happy with that buy.

thanks chaps. keep on trucking for a new saw me thinks. shinny isnt always best and only has 1yr cover

Fishdesigns":1m7ibudm said:
Thanks for the tips, read about the saw and have seen the ebay saw thought it needed a fair bit of tlc so havent bidded im used to buying second hand so that was 1st option but not much about. the charwood istnt great i know. when i say three day use that prob over used word on my part looking at around 3 hrs a day spread over the day.

still adice is good and had looked and site saws but steered clear as they dont seem to be able to cut the 2" and above that i need to cut through in hard woods. fingers crossed just got £330 saving by buying a axminster planner thicknesser used it before so happy with that buy.

thanks chaps. keep on trucking for a new saw me thinks. shinny isnt always best and only has 1yr cover
With a sharp clean blade, you can cut white oak, for example, at about full depth 55mm on the TS200. Feed rate is slowish, and it won't be as comfortable experience as say on a TS250 or something more powerful, but it can do it.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I had a look at the charnwood stuff in my local retailer and it had a very cheap feel to it, kind of like walking into a Machine Mart if you know what I mean.

Anyway, have you taken a look to see if any local retailers to you have it on display?

According to the stockist page on the Charnwood website, D B Keighley is not far from Skipton, 50 min drive? Might be worth a look.

Back