Advice needed on circular saw and mitre saw purchase.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just about to start out in woodworking and, firstly I'm looking to buy a circular saw to rip some sheets of plywood and mdf.

I've budgeted around £100 quid or so for a circular saw. Can I get a decent machine that will cut straight at 90 degrees for that price or do I need to save up some more pennies?

Also, how much cash would I need for a 'hobbyist' level mitre saw for pretty light use?

Thanks in advance.

You can pick up a nice Makita HS6601 165mm Circular saw for under £90, you can also get a Makita HS7611J 190mm saw for just a hair over £100 if you need a little more depth of cut. They're both good saws.

Personally, If I was going to be using it primarily on sheets I would save my pennies and get a track saw instead. Much easier to use and set up than a regular circular saw. But you would be looking at upwards of £300 for a good one with the tracks.

It also pays to get a half decent brand of Mitre saw as the cheap ones can be absolute rubbish and just make your experience an unpleasant one. The Metabo KGS Mitresaws are a very good saw for not a hell of a lot of money (Around £150 for the 8") but definitely get the one with the slider rails as opposed to the fixed ones.

have a look at Peter Millards youtube channel, he recentlydid a series of vids about track saws from the cheapest to the costliest. Y could also prbly pm him on here if you had any ques.

Trying to rip down full size sheets of plywood and MDF on a small table saw is asking for an inaccurate cut and a very frustrating time trying to keep the sheet straight, hate to say this, but a track saw is probably a better idea, I have a cheap Rutlands saw and it does the job fine, under £100.00, but with only 1400mm track, if you wish to cut longer you will need more track.

Lidl track saws £70 are great value for money. Not the best. But also not £300.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Droogs":1svov5zl said:
have a look at Peter Millards youtube channel

Cheers, I'm working my way through them now.

I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of circular saw (with a straight cut jig - seen loads of videos ot YT) versus a track saw.

I mean, what can a track saw do that a circular saw (with a jig) can't do and vice versa?

blackbulldog":3n00giuc said:
Droogs":3n00giuc said:
have a look at Peter Millards youtube channel

Cheers, I'm working my way through them now.

I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of circular saw (with a straight cut jig - seen loads of videos ot YT) versus a track saw.

I mean, what can a track saw do that a circular saw (with a jig) can't do and vice versa?
I had a circular saw for a long time before buying a tracksaw. I made the jigs, and used them, but a track saw just does the job better.

MikeJhn":20j0yu4n said:
Nothing, but if you don't have a circular saw already it makes sense to buy a plunge track saw.

This is the Rutlands one: https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-too ... t3516#nogo when comparing like to like look at depth of cut and length of track.
Btw, The Rutlands one is identical to the Lidl (parkside) one.

If you can't wait for the Lidl one to become available, then this one is good value, albeit 30 pounds more.

Get the extra tracks from lidl (search the forum for how), for half the price.

The Rutlands one is identical to the Lidl (parkside) one.

Not quite, as far as I can make out the Parkside is 1200watt and the Rutlands is 1400watt so there may be other difference's as well, although I doubt it.

Mike

Latest posts

Back