Advice for fixing a Parkinson's 16 / Record 53 vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Parkinson 15 "Perfect Vice" and that bit broke in the same place. From memory the two main guide rods sat in sockets in the casting, the screwed rod passed through and was secured with washer and split pin. I made a replacement from plywood, one piece with the three holes drilled then a second piece glued on with only the centre hole. Just a lazy way of making the two flat bottomed sockets. It's been that way for many years now.

Mechanically the load comes on when the vice is opened. That pulls the threaded rod which in turn pulls the "part" and the two sockets push the plain guide rods.

You're right that the only strain on the yoke is when opened, which actually has me quite surprised that the yoke breaks so commonly. Maybe just the repeated stress of thousands of openings over time.

If the break is clean it could be super-glued back and clamped tight and given 24 hours. plan B: make a replacement from hardwood or hardwood-ply and for the center hole use some type of bushing. Machine a brass one or Jerry-rig one out of several washers stacked together to match corresponding thickness and minimal play.

Is this any good, I think it came of a Woden vice, but it might have been a Parkinson.

Attachments

• P1000785.JPG
    P1000785.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 2
  • P1000786.JPG
    P1000786.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 2
You're right that the only strain on the yoke is when opened, which actually has me quite surprised that the yoke breaks so commonly. Maybe just the repeated stress of thousands of openings over time.

Yes I was talking out of my aris on that, poor memory of how the things work from years ago. Maybe it takes a jolt if/when the QR half-nut slips.

@t8hants Mine is a slightly different design, but from what I can tell, the measurements look roughtly the same. If your yoke has just over 1 inch holes for the guid rods, and a little over 20mm for the centre hole, with about 60mm between the guide rod holes (not centre to centre), then it seems right. Is your one available for sale?

Sadly it would appear not to be the same, the large holes are 7/8" (22.3mm) and the center hole 1/2" (12.80) with 3 1/2 (89mm) between centers

Latest posts

Back