Advice for first-timer on beech dining table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrat

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge here, but I've acquired a project today and need a little assistance. In a sale in a local furniture shop, I picked up a solid beech dining table with leaves for £150 - an absolute bargain. The only drawback is that the table is unfinished. It needs sanding to remove a few surface blemishes from when it was stored, but other than that the wood itself is flawless.

The problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing here and would dearly love some advice on a decent finish for the table. I'd like to keep it natural-looking where possible (though darkening it isn't an issue - it's very light, as I assume all beech is, but I'd like to keep it lighter than, say, oak or thereabouts) but I'd like it low-maintenance and hard-wearing. The dining table in our house is usually the center of the action. Between meals it doubles up as a game surface, computer desk, writing desk and pretty much anything else that needs a surface to work on. :) I don't want it too glossy (back to the "keep it looking natural" thing) but I understand that I'll need to accept some shine for it to be hardwearing.

My only experience with wood is varnishing some wood with my grandfather when I was young (do I get chased off these boards for mentioning "varnish"? :wink: ).

Huge thanks in advance for your answers folks, I'll try to answer any questions as best as I can.

Cheers,
Aled.

Aled - welcome to the forum. My first choice for your table would be matt acrylic varnish, best place to buy it is Homebase IMO. Brush on with a fine paint brush and denib with worn 320g paper between coats which will dry in about 30mins. Gives a really tough finish in no time at all - Rob

Latest posts

Back