Advice for Extending Workbench?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading Boz' excellent workbench build, I've decided I need to extend mine. When I built it, I only needed something relatively small, but since going back to hand-tools, the limitations are becoming more apparent.

So, I want to extend the length of my worktop by at least a foot, and the depth by a further 6 inches (which will be a tool-tray on the back).

What is the best way to go about this?

I've thought of two approaches:

1. Breadboard the ends with a pegged M&T so that each breadboard end is 6" in length.

2. Use 20mm dowels and cascamite to glue a 12" section to one end.

I will be building a new base to match the new width and depth, as I feel that I've made the base too narrow. When it's free-standing it has a tendency to totter a bit, but against a wall it's fine, I'm hoping a wider footprint will make it more sturdy, although it might be my springy wood floor that contributes to this tottering.

Here are some photos, as you can see, I've filled the dog-holes as I was never really that happy with their location, so i'm going to re-drill these in a more appropriate place. The second picture shows roughly how much further I want the worktop to go:

workbench2.jpg

workbench.jpg

What do you all think would be the best way to go about this?

Whatever the best solution is, I think you'd be better off with two 6in sections, rather than one sole 12in extension.

As you also want to increase the depth or width of your top, what about adding a pair of longer rails (one front, one back). Each rail would be 12in longer than your current bench and you could then fix the breadboards/end caps directly on to the ends. Though, you'd still to make sure the top is free to expand and contract. These longer rails could then be screwed or 'fixed' directly in to both front and back edges of the top. Hope that makes sense (you'd basically be making a framed to fit perfectly around the existing top). :)

I reckon you could still allow some room for a tool tray but, depending on the width, that would probably increase the depth of your bench by more than you are intending... You've also got to think about how it would go together... Loose tenons (like large Dominoes) would probably offer the greatest strength to each end. Or, you might be able to use a pair of plywood splines. That would probably mean you have to fit them ends in place first, and then add the longer rails.

As far as tool wells go; some love them; some people hate them. I've always liked the convenience of being able to store most tools quickly below the top surface and they usually stop chisels and things from rolling off down behind the bench! But, at the same time, I hate the fact that they fill up with shavings, sawdust and any old rubbish, which is why I came up with the following solution, a few months ago:

http://ollypj.wordpress.com/2010/02/04/trouble-with-tool-wells/

Although I won't get a bench plane in there, I can keep many smaller items inside and out of harms way. My bench can easily be cleared of shavings and the 19mm holes in the lids also double up as dog holes! :wink: I still lose too many tools and things down the back of the bench so, I may look to add some kind of back fence/skirting at some point, which could be raised and lowered when required... :-k

Hope this helps. :)

To be honest i can not see the point of this, just a 12" extension what advantage do you get .There for i suggest you make a cupboard or draw unit with adjustable legs to line up the tops.
A better mod would be a sliding support unit for the existing bench to support long boards when planing and storage under the bench.

OLD":2nq5ajmm said:
To be honest i can not see the point of this, just a 12" extension what advantage do you get .There for i suggest you make a cupboard or draw unit with adjustable legs to line up the tops.
A better mod would be a sliding support unit for the existing bench to support long boards when planing and storage under the bench.

This was my first thought

Olly - thanks for the suggestions, I like the idea of the rails/framing - that would probably be easiest to do. I've generally been against tool trays in the past, but more and more lately, I've wished I had one.. I'll take a look at your blog post (i subscribed recently btw).

OLD/Tom - one of the reasons I wish to do this, is to also make the base larger - as I mentioned, I feel it's too narrow and requires bracing against the wall to stop it from tottering (I like to have it freestanding with space around it). By making the top wider - I'll be able to support larger pieces, give it all more mass and increase my workspace. If I just make a rolling unit or storage (which I don't need/want any more of) it won't add to the mass to the top - nor give me the extra depth and tool-tray that I want.

I know it's easier to do it that way, but I just don't want extra 'things', I'd prefer to have the one larger bench..

Just alter the base and install a shelf so what it holds will increase the mass and it will be fine remember you have to pull it across to the central position.
My small softwood bench with cupboard and draws takes some moving.

The rails/framing sounds fairly straightforward.

If you like the idea of a tool well but not that of it filling up with shavings etc why not just have a simple box or two on the back of your (flat) bench? It will still hold tools etc but shavings won't fall in, and its removable if you need more worksurface/need to clean it out...

Back