Advice & considerations for buying a first table saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orcamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks for sorting out my bandsaw wheel problem guys! Now I have to turn my thoughts to buying my first table saw, but what is the main advice and considerations the forum members can give?

For example, I find it extremely difficult to choose from such an array of different machines, and I need to consider my workshop space. The workshop is slightly larger than a single garage (but it is just for machines, i.e. no workbench, hand tools, consumables, etc, these are in a separate smaller room) and measures about 2.8m wide by 5m long. As you may have seen i have a Basato 5-2 bandsaw + other bits.

So on the basis that I have 2.8m across the width of the room, and table saws have a "table size" typically e.g. :

Jet JTS-250 CS = 705 x 685mm
Rojek PK315 = 812 x 485mm
Sedgwick TA315 = 800 x 750mm

and you then may need a table extension on the right hand side adding another 500-600mm to the width of the overall saw.

With this I am at least half way across the room, and this doesnt even include a left hand side sliding table!

I realise that the sliding table is not needed for all operations, but how often is it used in practice by real woodworkers?! Maybe you cant answer this question because it is so dependent on what each of us make.

Is the right hand table needed, or again is the left hand sliding table more important?

Maybe these questions cant be answered, and maybe I have to go for something smaller than the above mentioned saws.

What i am trying to work out is what typically do I need in terms of table space including clearance around the machine. Obviously the width of the room is a bit limited, but it cant be that bad, and if all other machines are on wheels then they can be moved out of the way for TS ops.

Anyone like to attempt some answers? :lol:

cheers
HM

Hi HM
Good to see you're considering a table saw ;).
I bought mine when you couldn't get cast iron stuff so cheaply, but I bought it with maximum flexibility in mind. I have a removable sliding table and a fold down rhs table. (Plus small outfeed table)
I have a small saw and with everything attached and extended it takes up a lot of space in my 14x8 foot workshop!
I used the the sliding table a lot - but it was a faff removing it all the time and there was no way I could leave it attached. I consequently bought a SCMS and now hardly ever use the sliding table (only when I need to do cross cuts over 300mm). The RH table gets used very little too - mainly when I'm using manufactured boards.
So yes it depends - for man made boards you do need a big table and both a RH table and a sliding table will prove useful. But otherwise if I was buying again I would want the most solid smooth running saw I could afford which could handle 2" oak with ease.
Bit of a ramble - still some of my experiences.
All the best
Gidon

Like Gidon, I have a folding RHS table and a sliding table. The RHS has probably only been used 6 times in the as many years, and the sliding table gets used time and time again.

Obviously this is my preference as Tony got rid of his straight away but I personally think if you can afford the space (and even if you can't - I used mine successfully in my 14 x 8 workshop) go for a sliding table. I consider them to be precision items that allows safe operation of a variety of tasks. Safer than alternative methods. I think these mitre things that slide in a channel must be very restrictive when cutting (particularly) sheet stock down to size, and although people could argue that they mainly use hardwood which needs ripping, I find I end up cutting sheets for all sorts of other projects / things - beehives, childrens toys....

Adam

Hi Gidon & Adam

Thanks for your replies. It seems from your comments that there is no reason why one of the saws I listed can be used in my workshop (2.8x5m/~9x16ft)?

Which saws have you both got? Due to my leanings towards Scheppach, I also consider their saws of similar dims to the alternatives listed. I haven't really started looking into each saw in detail yet and will probably go shopping one day soon! 8) May be even a show (I haven't been to one for years since woodwork has been "on hold" for about 3 years now).

I currently have an ancient Dewalt RAS 1370 (on permy loan from my father-in-law), which is ok, but it is large and a SCMS would be a lot better (even though some peeps in here have recently been commenting how much space they waste, I bet it is not as bad as the RAS. So cross-cutting has never been a problem, only ripping. So I am desperate to get a table saw and can't believe I have survived so far without one, it will certainly speed things up.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

HM

HM,
Dont overlook the Aximinster TS AW10BSB2, I along with several members own the same , and can say without doubt its a lot of TS for the money...

As for space I use mine in a 10 x 8 ft workshopand although I cant use the sliding carriage I do have both extensions in place, a little tight at times,(now refered to as a time efficient workshop, being if I stand in the middle , I can just about reach anything I need), but it IS usable in a smaller space...I think Tony uses his in a single garage so you can see its not such a big problem with a bit of thought..

Anyway, just another one to add to the list of choices/options..

linkhttp://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-AW10BSB2-254mm-Saw-Bench-with-Sliding-Table-577232.htm

HTH

I have an SIP 01332 almost the same as the Axminster AW10BSB2, in the last woodwoking shop I saw a Hammer universal machine C3-31

http://mk.felder-gruppe.at/?page=maschi ... 5156c16db4

I measured it left to right and is only 1.80 meters :shock:

the price is a bout £4000

but you also get Spindle Moulder, Planer Thicknneser, and saw with sliding table, scoring blade, dado very easy to install. you can order a demo DVD from them company :twisted:

Cheers guys for your further comments. I certainly haven't got anywhere near any decisions yet as I haven't had chance to go shopping yet (workshop almost completed). So will definitely take a butchers at the Axminster offerings amongst many others. I guess my main concern here was what could be made to work in a typical single garage sized workshop. Seems it's not totally unworkable, but may need a bit of thought and put majority of other stuff on wheels. I definitely won't be going for a combi, thanks Andy! Already got a few separates (just no tablesaw). I dont know how I have survived without a TS so far, I guess bandsaw or portable circular saw plus planer or hand planing is my preferred method. Although my father-in-law has been of great help as I go to his place to use his posh Felder combi occasionally (but it's 200 miles away)! So this doesn't happen very often, but when needs must, as they say. Anyway I hope to change all that soon as I can...

Sorry HM - missed this - mine is a Scheppach TS2000 - think Adam has the bigger TS2500 which I wish I'd got but thought at the time it'd be too big. You really need a good show to go and see them all side by side - not sure if there are any coming up.
Have fun choosing!
Cheers
Gidon

Cheers Gidon! How do you find the Scheppach? You mentioned about cast tables being dear when you were originally choosing a TS? Is it really an issue?

I am in no rush to buy one yet, as money needs to be allocated to other house/garden based projects over coming months, so I may even stretch it out until the Axminster show (if it is still worth the trip?).

Now the workshop is almost useable my interest and motivation is finally reappearing for woodwork, it will be a real boon to get up and running properly again after such a long time out. And having the space now for a TS is what I have been waiting for for years.

cheers
HM

I've recently bought the SIP 10". Space was limited and it was the only one that could obviously be used without the left hand extension - the optional sliding table fits in place of it with a shorter rail front and rear.
I mainly use it for ripping shiplap down to size so I can't comment on it's accuracy for anything other than building chicken houses.

I assembled it without the left extension and then used the demolition saw to trim the front and rear rails flush.

I also bought the wheel kit to go with it so if I've got larger stuff to cut I can move it out into the workshop. They feel a bit bendy but do their job.

I have the TS2500 (the old style one with aluminium). I guess I bought it just before the explosion of "cheap" cast iron models, and although I love it, ones such as the SIP seem to be good value for money.

I think when it comes to tablesaws that a big beefy model takes up so little more floorspace than a small one (say teh difference between a Ts2000 and a TS2500) that you should always for for the larger one. I find the sliding table on the scheppach easy to remove when I need, which is a real bonus.

Adam

Back