Advice - Chopping Boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daffyd85

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to make some posh looking chopping boards. I have seen on TV chopping boards with the bark still on and a superb finish on the top. Perhaps a great idea for Christmas presents, planning well in advance this year!

Does anyone know the following:

What is the best wood to use for this?
Where could you find a decent supplier? (Kent)
What finish to use on the top?

Surely the bark will come off when sanding? or do you need to treat the bark with something to stop this?

Any advice will be a great help

Daffyd85

daffyd85":ea6sky6j said:
Hi,

I'm looking to make some posh looking chopping boards. I have seen on TV chopping boards with the bark still on and a superb finish on the top. Perhaps a great idea for Christmas presents, planning well in advance this year!

I think they're more for serving than prep - Jamie Oliver's a big user.

They look to me like a hygeine nightmare.

BugBear

I saw some gorgeous wooden chopping/serving boards at Art in Action a few years ago. They were made from oak, and wafer thin, with the edges gently curved over. Stunning. I've been meaning to run a project in the mag for a Picnic Palette, which is made by a friend in the USA as a mini-tray for people to hold food a drinks parties. It looks really fun.

Nick

Back