Advice about Axminster White air tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just changed my job and the kind folk I worked with gave me an Axminster gift voucher.

I have been thinking of getting a compressor and an air nailer for a while and wondered if anyone had experience, good or bad of

Axminster AWC25HP Compressor: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -21377.htm

and

Axminster AW50N Nailer: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -21371.htm

and finally

Axminster Headless Pinner: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -30590.htm

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
I have the AW50N nailer and for its price I cant say a bad thing against it, fired approx 3 boxes (6000 ish) of various size brads ( Axminster own brand) through it so far, with not a single jam.. the bump feature is handy , although tiresome on the finger having to hold the trigger in the firing position..
if i was looking at buying a new compressor I would choose the AW 30HP for the greater capacity reservior and larger CFM 10cfm/50ltr as opposed to 7cfm/25ltr on your choice..reason behind this I am suitably impressed with the AW50N I was thinking about getting Axminsters own brand framing nailer, [url=http://www.axminster.co.uk/pr...ster.co.uk/product-Axminster-F ... 564176.htm [\url] and this needs 7cfm minimum to work as stated on the website..

anyhow hope this helps, and if you want more info I`ll try to help you out

i am also looking for one and dont know much about them

would want to be able to nail spray paint, blow air to clean, and what ever else it can do maybe.....

is oil free better, i am hobbyist but want something would last not cost way to much and be able to spray and nail mainly
so i guess 8bar 118psi?

dunno what good brand are for this type i see they are dewalts wolf and others witch are good i dunno

I had the axminster compressor (it was £100 when I bought it) and it worked well enough but had some problems (I used it for home diy use)

1 - the air filter was broken on arrival (fixed without issue)
2. after about a month it stopped working - the left handed central bolt on the crank had sheared - replacement sent next day.
4 - wheels broke (fixed myself with a rod axle)
3. finally (about 2 years later) the control box failed /became unreliable - the plastic fitting is held by one screw and some lugs and the lugs kept failing.

I scrapped it and bought a smaller lighter sealer frame compressor - slightly less airflow and much less storage (4l in the frame) )but a one handed lift into the car. Ideal for car tyres and nailers - in fact the smaller lighter sealey would do the same job.

I also have the perform stapler, screwfix nailer, cheapo spray gun (used for fences) and axminster impact gun - all worked with the axminster compressor but the gun would not undo wheel nuts. I rarely use the gun now as the ryobi 18v One Plus impact driver does all I need (I still have to initially loosen of wheel nuts).
I haven't used th impact gun on the sealey (underpowered) but is should be ok for spraying

Before buying decide what you need it for and how mobile you need it to be.

thanks for the reply... i dont really need it to be to mobile but moved around the garage woulod be good enough or took out side to the gardon.

i just never used one to know about how much power or size i need and how it would effect the spray painting. i think most will run the nail guns anyway i more want the nails for small headless woodworking (hiden nails) so i dont need to try hold in place while getting a screw in if needed

well they aint cheap "sealey" lol

any other brands recomended for spraying ans nail... maybe a kit?

and oil free? is this better as less to mess around with ?

Lark":2782q29g said:
well they aint cheap "sealey" lol

any other brands recomended for spraying ans nail... maybe a kit?

and oil free? is this better as less to mess around with ?

No, but i wasn't buying a high end kit and it was down to the frame one (about £90 from memory) or a cheaper axminster one (£70ish) with less throughput and oil or a screwfix one on special offer with nailer - but I had the nailer so went with sealey. Decision was partly reputation of brand but also it was oil free (axminster one would fall over in the car), lighter (not lightest) and compact.

I would recommend the screwfix one but its not on there webpage anymore - but was about £70 with nailer.

I posted the links more for the information and selection they had rather than to entice a buyer. I'm at the age when I'm buying for the third time so now tend to buy better quality (or at least hope so!).

apply the philosophy - hire once, buy diy for second use, buy better when it breaks - by then you've proven you need it!

Lark":jnuwdtrf said:
i am also looking for one and dont know much about them

would want to be able to nail spray paint, blow air to clean, and what ever else it can do maybe.....

is oil free better, i am hobbyist but want something would last not cost way to much and be able to spray and nail mainly
so i guess 8bar 118psi?

dunno what good brand are for this type i see they are dewalts wolf and others witch are good i dunno

lark - wolf was the one on offer in screwfix a while back that tempted me. if you want to do stapling or nailing make sure you buy a compressor that has two gauges and a control to limit the air pressure fed to the tool (i.e maybe 8bar in the tank but limited to 5 bar to the tool). Most nailers need less pressure than the cut off - otherwise you can damage the firing pin. Also don't forget to buy an in-line oiler or be prepared to drop some oil into the tool before use.

or this sealey one but dont come with a gun or anything.

link

so dunno how much more be to add the nailer and sprayer ontop

like buying 3 tools at once not easy to choose when i dont know anything about it :)

Lark":2a4mrok6 said:
thanks things like this i do not know about
in line oil what about these oil free ones dont need any oil then ?
Oil free refers to the the compressor, all air tools (other than sprayers and blowers I think) need to be lubricated - typically just a few drops of oil into the airline adaptor before you start to use it. You can do this manually (via a small bottle) or you can fit one of these . (Search axminster for 810253)

there only about £5 then thats not to bad......
thanks for the info that helped......

are any of the ones i put any good or any good cheaper kits to buy
wont be used every day.

nothing is simple :) and i'm not an expert on these tools, but have had three (ABAC bought on ebay, the Axminster one you asked about first and now the Sealey).

Looking at the dewalt in your post it looks a good spec at £130. I would buy the nailer stapler (narrow crown) from axminster (340379 £ 36.61) but this only takes 18 gauge nails up to 32mm long (others go to 50mm but don't do staples). At £37 its a good starter and from axminster you can buy the spare firing pin if it breaks. If you want to do normal wide staples (e.g. upholstery) then go for dedicated 100238 £32.89.

Axminster do a kit with air hose, cheap (fence) sprayer, tyre gauge and blower for £20 100309.

here's a good offer from screwfix - rexon compressor and professional nailgun for £139 - but no air hose and the compressor manual says it only delivers 2CFM so i wouldn't be convinced re the spraying statement. screwfix rexon

This is the one I bought
sealey SA22420 and now on offer for £105. Its an oil free compressor which helps if you are spraying finishes that need to avoid oil in the airflow

you could also look on the machine mart web site - they have plenty . Finally, check in B&Q and Aldi - Aldi recently had one very similar to the axminster one with a tool set for about £50 - not on show at the moment but they may still have some in store.

From what I've seen just looking and you stated needs I would go with the axminster tools and either the axminster or sealey 25l compressor. You coiuld use ebay as these are often sold there, but check postage and warranty.

post what you finally decide and write a review!

B&Q have a 8cfm 24ltr compressor with a brad nailer 18g and finish nailer 16g for £99.
Do the oap thing and it's £89 if it breaks you just take it back no probs. :)

I'm watching this thread with interest. An air compressor is going on the xmas list. One thing I'd like to do is use an air sander.

I bought the compressor, and a 18g nailer, from Aldi to build my workshop. The 18g nailer has fired over 100 25mm nails and the SIP roofing nailer over 6000 50mm nails without a problem. In fact the only problem I have had is the air hose leaking when the tools are connected. I posted on the forum to see if it was fixable but had no replies so I will have to put up with it or buy a new one.

PS the Sip nailer only fires about a dozen nails before the compressor refills so the 25Ltr capacity is maybe too small.

Thing is the compressor will kick in after about 25% of the 25ltrs are used.
I think 8cfm 25ltrs is enough for average use, nailers, tyre's, small spray job's.

WiZeR":2yygep9w said:
One thing I'd like to do is use an air sander.
You are going to need a big compressor to run an air sander, they use lots of air and the small units that will power a nail gun quite happily will not cope with one. :x

Latest posts

Back