Adirondack Guide Boat Itch.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As soon as glass cloth is involved one looses the two greatest advantages of a wooden boat. Ease of repair and healthy working conditions when building in a less than industrial workshop.

I wonder what would happen if one would plank a guide boat in traditional clinker instead of half lap. Just as a way of making things easier for Andy.

The amount of rocker in the keel may be one significant difference. A straighter keel makes a boat track better while more rocker makes it easier to turn in tight places.

Those are very nice boats. I just wonder if you are a bit out of your depth with the half lap planking.
By the way Peter Lindqvist has made some youtube videos concerning his local variety of half lap planking

I'm not afraid of some deep water and am quite good at swimming.

What have I got to lose by giving it a go ?

As soon as glass cloth is involved one looses the two greatest advantages of a wooden boat. Ease of repair and healthy working conditions when building in a less than industrial workshop.

I wonder what would happen if one would plank a guide boat in traditional clinker instead of half lap. Just as a way of making things easier for Andy.
The problems I encountered with traditional clinker (we say lapstrake in the US) was in trying to dry sail a boat planked with 5 or 6 mm solid planking. They dry out so much between use that they tend to leak a fair amount when first put in the water. Not so bad the first year, more as time goes by.
After a few boats I made the switch to marine ply, scarfed to make lengths.
My end development was very light hard chine glued lap.
These were about 1 meter beam with laminated outriggers in traps.
Incidentally, I’ve always found trying to row very narrow boats from the gunwales, like the Adirondack boat, is an exercise in misery. The geometry is so far from ideal. The hand balance weight is invariably high, the overlap is uncomfortable and the inboard/outboard ratio is way off.

The problems I encountered with traditional clinker (we say lapstrake in the US) was in trying to dry sail a boat planked with 5 or 6 mm solid planking. They dry out so much between use that they tend to leak a fair amount when first put in the water. Not so bad the first year, more as time goes by.
After a few boats I made the switch to marine ply, scarfed to make lengths.
My end development was very light hard chine glued lap.
These were about 1 meter beam with laminated outriggers in traps.
Incidentally, I’ve always found trying to row very narrow boats from the gunwales, like the Adirondack boat, is an exercise in misery. The geometry is so far from ideal. The hand balance weight is invariably high, the overlap is uncomfortable and the inboard/outboard ratio is way off.
8EF83937-D5C8-4FFF-9E3A-9B8A1BAAC574.jpeg

These boats are 15’6” (4.75m) and weigh about 65 pounds. Two women can load one on the car.

Attachments

• B6C09776-FB0C-4F24-9FCB-6462CE394BF7.jpeg
    B6C09776-FB0C-4F24-9FCB-6462CE394BF7.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
All over the Nordic countries clinker boats have been hauled ashore between trips thatr is "dry sailed" for 1500 years at least. However the climate is a lot hotter in California

All over the Nordic countries clinker boats have been hauled ashore between trips thatr is "dry sailed" for 1500 years at least. However the climate is a lot hotter in California
Of course you are correct, same here.
Traditionally boats go into the water in the spring and spend the year either in the water or close by. Don’t forget that many boats have to “take up” for a few days if they’ve been hauled out for awhile. Traditional clinker planking is much thicker though. Add very thin planking to a boat that is cartopped, especially if the air is dry, and you have a dried out boat.

The differnce being that in the Nordic countries and parts of Britain as well boats are hauled ashore after every trip. Launched every time you want to go somewhere. It works well in our climate but I don't rekon it would work in California. Just as you point out.

Andy
You have nothing to loose and I think you can do it if you are stubborn enough. I am only suggesting ways of making life easier.

I know and I appreciate your input, but I'm not in it for an easy time....It's more of a sculptural and historical journey project and any other type of planking wouldn't achieve the result I wanted.

BTW it's Adam.

Just go for it then!
I think you can do it. It will only take a lot of time.

Sorry I thought Adam but wrote Andy. It could have been worse though....... once I had forgotten my own name when I was to sign a paper.

Back