Adirondack Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flounder

Established Member
Reaction score
Swimbo wanted a comfy garden chair in an adirondack style, so I bought some Western Red Cedar and ended up with this...

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

It is finished with a few coats of Danish oil. I have to say it is really comfortable to sit in, so much so that the boss has asked for 3 more! I will try to remember to do a proper WIP on the next ones!

Very nice. It is surprising how comfortable they are.

I made one a few years ago but used softwood and painted it, I plan to do another from some more durable wood one day. Your design looks similar to mine, I got plans from some guy on eBay.

regards

Brian

Flounder

I built one a few years ago and they are great and your's looks like it will stand the test of time, good work.

I used plans from Popular Mechanics, link below. Very similar but the seat has much softer curves especially at the front, you might like to take a gander if you are going to build some more.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/woodworking/2919751

I built mine out some rubbish timber from a shed, be interested to know where you bought your red cedar as I only live a few miles up the A 509 near Olney and I'd like to do a build another one or two myself?

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard, I see what you mean about the more softer curve. Will have to see if Swimbo wants to change it or keep them all looking the same. You know what women are like for having everything matching! :roll:

I got the WRC from Dave Kinns timber yard. He is between Cranfield and Marston Mortaine. He has a good selection of British, European and some American hardwoods, though no board materials. Nice chaps to have a chat with too!

Nice looking chair and nice choice of wood. I also made a couple using the Popular Mechanics plans, using crappy re-claimed softwood. The P.M. chair does have a softer curve to the front of the chair, which I think looks better. Just so long as they're comfortable though. Have you thought of doing a matching footstool. Rick.

I did think about a foot rest or even a side table like the one shown in the PM page, but have decided not to mention it yet and see how much timber I have left over without having to buy more! I also have other projects I want to get on with and this is taking up enough of my very limited workshop time as it is! Agree with you about the softer lines of the PM chair looking better though!

flounder":216dwak7 said:
Swimbo wanted a comfy garden chair in an adirondack style, so I bought some Western Red Cedar and ended up with this...
It is finished with a few coats of Danish oil. I have to say it is really comfortable to sit in, so much so that the boss has asked for 3 more! I will try to remember to do a proper WIP on the next ones!

What plans did you use?

BugBear

I didn't use any plans as such, but copied the design from a chair a friend had rotting away in his back garden (made from pine and not treated). I made cardboard templates of the shaped parts which I have now transferred to mdf to make the other 3 chairs from, although I may have to change them to go for the rounder look of the PM design!

IMG_1274.jpg

Flounder

Thanks for the heads up on the Timber Merchants I shall give them a look.

Just to add another possibility to the mix, apparently a pair of these are required for our patio, must say they look really cool and I'm looking forward to getting the chores list down to managable size so I can get on with them.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/woodworking/1273451?click=img_sr

Regards

Richard

Latest posts

Back