Adding a digital display to a Scheppach HMS 260 thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any recommendation or advice in respect of fitting a digital read out to a Scheppach HMS 260 CI planer thicknesser ? I need something where the display is remote from the position of the scale.

The 'Wixey Remote Planer Readout With Fractions - 300mm (12")' appears to be suitable, apart from the fact that the 'scale' is 12" long. The maximum thicknessing depth is 6", with about 9" space for a 'scale'.

Thanks ...

Hi,

I have one the older HMS 260 models with the steel tables and use one of the Wixey gauges that was designed for portable planers. I also use an Axminster planer thicknesser which I fitted with the later Wixey gauge that was specifically designed for this style of planer/thicknesser. I find that the former is more accurate and easier to use/calibrate, but I think that is just because I think the Scheppach has less backlash in the table mechanism.

The older style gauge takes a bit more trouble to fit so i would say the later gauge on the Scheppach is a marriage mad in heaven. I have just been machining a stack of aircraft spruce on the Scheppach this afternoon and find I can work to ridiculous levels of accuracy and repeatability - have started to obsess about getting it accurate to a few thou! A job like that, where you are machining lots of small and different sections accurately suddenly becomes so easy compared to not having the Wixey attached.

Buy the Wixey, you won't regret it.

Colin

Colin -- thanks for the reply.

Are you referring to the 'Wixey Remote Planer Readout With Fractions - 300mm (12")' or some other model. Depending on whether the one you've used was a 12" model, did you have to reduce the length of the scale ?

Hi,

I have one the older HMS 260 models with the steel tables and use one of the Wixey gauges that was designed for portable planers. I also use an Axminster planer thicknesser which I fitted with the later Wixey gauge that was specifically designed for this style of planer/thicknesser. I find that the former is more accurate and easier to use/calibrate, but I think that is just because I think the Scheppach has less backlash in the table mechanism.

The older style gauge takes a bit more trouble to fit so i would say the later gauge on the Scheppach is a marriage mad in heaven. I have just been machining a stack of aircraft spruce on the Scheppach this afternoon and find I can work to ridiculous levels of accuracy and repeatability - have started to obsess about getting it accurate to a few thou! A job like that, where you are machining lots of small and different sections accurately suddenly becomes so easy compared to not having the Wixey attached.

Buy the Wixey, you won't regret it.

Colin
I realise this is an old thread, but I wonder if you still have your HMS 260, colin? If you do, could you possibly upload some photos that show his you mounted tge Wixey please?

Back