Accidental Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyDavidson

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a piece of Yew I had bought to turn a piece for my old craft teacher as a retirement present. When I pulled it out, I noticed a couple of cracks and blemishes which looked a little ominous. Sure enough, as I started roughing out the shape I wanted, a big crack appeared across. The further I went, the worse it seemed.

I thought about putting it to one side, but then thought, 'What the heck, it is all learning. Make sure I stand to one side a bit just in case, and carry on.'

I carried on until a quite large chunk came out, then realised this was an opportunity to practice turning a piece with segment etc. I was not that adventurous with the outside shape, as you can see.

I then turned it round and started on the inside. Suffice to say, the piece did break, but I was so far along I dug out the PVA glue and stuck it overnight.

Lessons learnt

1. a piece may not necessarily be useless because it has imperfections. These can be features.
2. Sharp tools make it much easier.
3. Sanding pieces with holes in takes care
4. PVA can be your friend
5. My M900 could do with being bolted down for uneven or lager pieces.

........and the last one....

even when you are excited, always make sure the chuck key is out before you restart the lathe. I put the newly glued piece back on the lather and wanted to get straight into it.

Luckily, no one was hurt and no damage was done, but it was a simple yet stupid mistake which could have been very nasty

Anyway, here is the finished piece.

It is about 8 1/2" x 2 1\2'
Sanded to 320 and finished with 2 coats or woodwax22

yewbowl1.jpg

yewbowl2-1.jpg

yewbowl4-1.jpg

yewbowl6.jpg

It would have been a decent enough bowl but now it is so much better. But then I am biased and love this sort of thing. Careful, turning scrappy wood can be addictive :lol:

Pete

I agree. It has so much more to it now that it is not whole.

I really like the 'imperfections' in the wood. I think they are the character.

Now,

How do I guarantee that every piece of wood I turn has a natural flaw? :D

Good rescue, if you come across another 'interesting' piece try applying some thin CA glue to the bark inclusion or crack lines before starting and during turning if you turn away the 'fixed' area.

Thanks for the tips.

The photo doesn't show it that well, but you can just make out the join in Pic 3. what I really like is that the dark areas are as they came. There is actually very little 'wood' holding the rim together.

If I had used CA rather than PVA, do you think I would have maintained a cleaner dark wood area? I was tempted to try and remove more of the PVA with a scalpel blade but chickened out. I didn't want to inadvertently trim any of the natural effect.

TobyDavidson":2eh8pdxb said:
...If I had used CA rather than PVA, do you think I would have maintained a cleaner dark wood area? I was tempted to try and remove more of the PVA with a scalpel blade but chickened out. I didn't want to inadvertently trim any of the natural effect.

If you have voids in the included bark area and associated cracks then you can fill with dry coffee grounds and drip low viscosity CA on them as you fill the crack, this will turn out dark and in many instances be difficult to distinguish from the bark.

This also has the effect of strengthening the crack area considerably.

Edit: example. The Dark Area on the rim is a mix of Bark Inclusion and Coffee

Thanks for all the comments guys.

From a self critique, the sanding could have been better. Luckily it doesn't show in the photo, but on the back of the rim there are a few rings. I was a little concerned about getting paper and fingers caught, but I am getting better. This is the first piece I have tuned in about 10 weeks due to new job and only about the 8th piece in total, so I am very pleased.

I was going to give it as a gift but SWMBO has said it has to stay. I'm not exactly disappointed right now.

Thank you for the tips, I will try and strengethn before and as I go in future, to try and avoid the sound of the piece flying off....

Edit: example. The Dark Area on the rim is a mix of Bark Inclusion and Coffee[/quote]

That looks really nice.

I will try that....now to find some more 'damaged' wood to practice on

I have the base off of an old Black & Decker orbital sander, the type that you used to swap on and off the drill. It has a nice rubber face to it and is ideal for sanding things like that yew. Hard enough, but soft enough to follow gentle contours and yer fingers are not in the way of getting clouted!

I know the feeling of turning for a pressie and SWMBO saying no way. That happened with a nice 10" diameter elm bowl..

You should be pleased Toby. That is a lovely bowl!

Back