Abrasives for Laguna 16-32

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djellworth

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all.
As above, I'm looking for a recommendced supplier for abrasives for a Laguna 16 32, I've googled/ebay /mazon etc and only come up with Westcountry machinery.
I was wondering whether anyone used anyone else for similar?
Thanks in advance.

A couple of years ago I sold my 16-32 Drum Sander. The abrasives cost was high. You are far better buying a roll instead of pre-cut loadings and you really do need to source a cloth backed product. You will not find better than Jepuflex. I used 346, grit 150, 75mm x 50m roll.

Colin

A couple of years ago I sold my 16-32 Drum Sander. The abrasives cost was high. You are far better buying a roll instead of pre-cut loadings and you really do need to source a cloth backed product. You will not find better than Jepuflex. I used 346, grit 150, 75mm x 50m roll.

Colin
Thanks Colin. Much appreciated. Any particular supplier you favoured?

I sourced mine from EFA just outside Southend on sea in Essex. I lived in the area then and had used them for many years as a supplier for the Technology Department of the local Comprehensive school where I worked. I usually bought there "specials", where they could not be beaten on price. I've continued to use them for a few bits even though I've moved around the country as they will post out. They are definitely worth a call. Sandpaper Roll | Mirka | Essex Fixings and Abrasives

Colin

For cloth based loadings I don't think you'll improve on Westcountry. They sell 75mm x 50m rolls but their value is not much different than for individual loadings at £7 a go.
I agree that cloth backed loadings are more durable than paper but I have used paper for many years. I use P120 Promax from EFA as above. They sell 150mm wide by 50m for £15 which provides over 40 loadings. Admittedly l have to split it down the middle but I've made a jig which enables me cut a loading in a few minutes.
Brian

how do you satisfactory join the cut ends........or does the sander u a clamp....
intereste because I want to build a tilting occilating drum sander......

how do you satisfactory join the cut ends........or does the sander u a clamp....
intereste because I want to build a tilting occilating drum sander......
Drum sanders usually have a clamp at each end of the cylinder to hold the ends of the abrasive. The clamps are spring loaded to apply tension to the abrasive and so keep it tight on the cylinder (in theory)
Brian

Back