About Time We Had a Mystery Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
So here's one I picked up in a car boot sale for 50p some time last year.
It's been sitting on my bench for a few months and every time I look at it I wonder what it might be for.
The only thing I can think of is it's some sort of smoothing tool. I did think that it might be a plane float but aren't they triangular?
There does appear to be a maker's mark on it but unfortunately I can't make it out.

MysteryTool2.jpg

MysteryTool1.jpg

So if anyone has any idea, I would love to know.

Does look like some sort of float for something that needs a deep groove. Are gun stock floats always round bottomed (guessing so, since barrels tend to be :) )

other thought was some sort of repair iron to loosen a hot glue joint.

mudman":1bqid3c9 said:
So here's one I picked up in a car boot sale for 50p some time last year.
It's been sitting on my bench for a few months and every time I look at it I wonder what it might be for.
The only thing I can think of is it's some sort of smoothing tool. I did think that it might be a plane float but aren't they triangular?
There does appear to be a maker's mark on it but unfortunately I can't make it out.

So if anyone has any idea, I would love to know.

Hmm. Heavily built, yet clearly single handed, so the build isn't for strength. Does it show signs of being heated - the only reason I can conceive for all that iron is heat retention, possibly for (OLDTOOLS joke) leather work.

BugBear

Some good ideas here. Not sure about spreading anything though as I can see the clean-up afterwards being a bit awkward, the 'teeth' are quite close together (couple of mm from memory) and getting residue out from in between might be difficult.

I haven't noted any evidence of it being heated, although I didn't think of looking for it.

I did wonder about leather working, maybe for stretching leather over something or other? But then, wouldn't it be easier to use something with a set of small pins to give a better grip? Unless you don't want it marker perhaps?

Quite frankly, I haven't really got a clue.

It is defintely a handtool. You hold it up against the edge of a board, then run your Stanley #71 router plane at it to create through dovetails.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've cleaned up the maker's mark and it is clearer than I thought.
It reads:

G. TUMMON (although the T may be a D).
SHEFFIELD

WARRANTED
CAST STEEL

Derek,

Have you seen one of these before?
I can't quite picture your description of how it works. Could you elaborate please?

Looks like some form of Broaching tool but for what purpose I've absolutely no idea.

After making allowances for wear and/or corrosion, do the lower "teeth" edges appear sharp?

BTW, I'm not happy with Todd Hughes' idea of octagonal barrel bedding - since the flat is quite large, the octagon that matched it would be HUGE!

Todd's normally right though :-(

BugBear

mudman":3tjei85l said:
I've cleaned up the maker's mark and it is clearer than I thought.
It reads:

G. TUMMON (although the T may be a D).
SHEFFIELD

WARRANTED
CAST STEEL

Searching reveals that Tummon is a common Sheffield name, and Dummon isn't, so we'll go with Tummon

BugBear

Back