Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh, warped floor! What do I do???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
God I feel like a right d!ck!

Long story short, I was changing a rad upstairs, drained system down, and off I went. Looks like I didn't isolate the UF heating so when this came on water has filled the bucket I used to drain and gone down the edge of the oak flooring.

By the time I noticed it a few hours later a space of about 8 boards wide by 1.5 metres has warped like twittery. I can see water marks between some boards and they have cupped across their width :oops: :cry:

I have sorted all the heating out, mopped up any water and whacked the under floor heating back up to dry it out but my question is, the boards were completely flat before as we had them refinished when we moved in, so with the UF on now will they go back to where they were before after they have dried out?

I do hope so otherwise I'm in trouble...

Russell":23bccaco said:
I suspect you may be in trouble, my sisters floor in her kitchen warped when her washing machine leaked. She was lucky and was covered by insurance.
Poo! :oops:

Did she have underfloor heating too? My hope is that there was not that much water, and because the floor was bone dry before due to the UF heating, that it should in theory go back to where it was.

Fingers crossed in vain hope...

No she didnt have under floor heating, He floor was oak on a concrete base with the correct covering over the concrete. It warped instantly well by the time she got home and although it recovered a bit all the edges of the oak boards were uneven.

New Floor I should think.
I was given some reclaimed flooring from just such a disaster, they were covered by insurance so had a complete new floor fitted; over 100 sq M.
I was delighted when they gave it to me but that soon changed as there was no way I could get the reclaimed stuff to go together properly.

Sorry.

Do a Homer (or is it Bart?)

'It wasn't me, I was never here'

Mark,

seems pretty unlikey to me that they will fully recover, be prepared!

I put down some solid oak flooring in our bathroom, and a very small unnoticed water leak caused a few boards to cup :evil:
- I fixed the leak and replaced the boards.

The removed boards are still cupped, (1 year later) and languish in the garage.

But, I hope yours do recover.

Dave

Sometimes wood does recover, I suppose the timber expanded against each other and that is most probably where the distortion comes in.

Relieve tension perhaps?

This will probably cause a riot, but here goes. Leave it alone to dry out and stabilise Mark, even then, if it is still warped, as long as it has stopped moving, sand it flat!

Roy.

Digit":1lqbgqyf said:
This will probably cause a riot, but here goes. Leave it alone to dry out and stabilise Mark, even then, if it is still warped, as long as it has stopped moving, sand it flat!

Roy.

Thats what my sister tried but ended up with 1-2mm gaps between boards it just didnt look good

Quite, but if it works Mark is in the clear. I certaily would pull it up till after it has stabilised.

Roy.

It happened to me twice :roll: in 8 years

I now have a concrete kitchen floor 3 mtrs hand mixed and wheelbarrow ed in through the hall :shock:

Nice ceramic tiles on top :lol:

Sorted

or as GR would say " Done "

Back