A 'Warning' about PayPal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my other half got ripped off by a scammer thanks to paypal I don't accept paypal as payment on ebay anymore, but as previously mentioned on here, ebay will not accept you saying you don't take it. Indeed, if you say in your auction that you don't take paypal they will remove your listing for breach of T&Cs that apparently say you are not allowed to express a preference for or bias against one payment method or another (Hello Kettle, this is Pot...). I get around this by always stating in very large text towards the start of my auction that before anyone bids they should email me first to discuss payment options.
I do still have a paypal account as it is useful when buying (they tend to side with the buyer in the event of a problem) but I also removed any link to my debit/credit cards so they are incapable of pulling any money from me in any way (as they did with my other half).

Vormulac":3d62ttli said:
I do still have a paypal account as it is useful when buying (they tend to side with the buyer in the event of a problem) but I also removed any link to my debit/credit cards so they are incapable of pulling any money from me in any way (as they did with my other half).

Hi Vormulac,

If you remove banking and C/C links, how do you fund PayPal when you make a purchase through them?

John
:)

Vormulac":105dy2fu said:
I get around this by always stating in very large text towards the start of my auction that before anyone bids they should email me first to discuss payment options.
V- sounds good to me...I may well go down that route next time I stick anything on the bay - Rob

So far they have held back almost £3,000 of my money, until I prove again who I am. (Oh yes, they deducted their handling percentage of course!)

Then a certain firm of carriers loused up the collection and delivery, resulting in a delay the buyer didn't like, prompting a dispute, I am trying to settle.

I have to prove that I have made arrangements for the second carriers to deliver (A day sooner than if it had been collected last week as it happens)
Thus a further bill for almost £300.00 carriage and insurance whilst still awaiting refund from the first carriers who messed up!

PayPal? Never again. eBay? Only by insisting that buyers contact me first!

John :evil:

Mailman14":1vqps7g2 said:
Paul.V.

Does that mean you've broken your own rule? (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk) :wink:

hehe possibly, there are exceptions to every rule :)

the way the banking system is going at the moment, wont be long before we are back to cash anyway.

create money from nothing, then charge you interest on it, wish i had thought of it !!

Benchwayze":1zbj8lxx said:
I was informed that the amount was larger than the permitted ceiling for my account,
John :)

So, you are saying that you have set up an account with Paypal, didn't bother to check the terms and conditions, have never bothered to check your spending limits (visible from a link on the very page presented once you have logged in) and somehow this is all Paypal's fault???? :shock:

I avoid using it whenever possible (easy as I don't like ebay), but this is because of their incredibly high charges (ditto for ebay), not the because I don't know the limits set on my account.

The man who never made a mistake never made anything Tony.

How he makes those mistakes is for himself. :wink:

When your account is a Premier business account, there are not supposed to be limits as it happens. It seems PayPal can move goalposts. Which they do. Then they trawl up an excuse to justify locking the account.

Try googling 'nopaypal'

:shock:

Got an email from ebay the other day, there's a whole raft of changes coming in during Sep and Oct, a few sensible ones but most seem designed to cover them, maximise their profits (in the short term) and alienate their old customer base by pushing them away.

I'll be putting a chunk of stuff through them very quickly and then after that hardly ever. Have a look at what they list under proposed items for free P&P

Yes...

I had the same email ... I should think the original developers' of eBay would be turning in their money-pits! Who are eBay to dictate to sellers, what they should charge for a service?

I cast about for other auction sites, but they all seem to put touching faith in PayPal, and require sellers to have accounts as a preferred means of cash exchange.

:?

Ironballs":3icbd8jt said:
Got an email from ebay the other day, there's a whole raft of changes coming in during Sep and Oct, a few sensible ones but most seem designed to cover them, maximise their profits (in the short term) and alienate their old customer base by pushing them away.

I'll be putting a chunk of stuff through them very quickly and then after that hardly ever. Have a look at what they list under proposed items for free P&P

I can't see much to be bothered about with the new changes to be honest. True - if I sold lots of books and CDs then yes, I would be and I can see a lot of these going to landfill instead of being put up for sale.

Good opportunity for a forum like this to start up a rival ebay system?

Anyone out of work here, an opportunity knocks.

I don't sell many of these 'Media' items, but I do dispose of what I don't need through eBay. I have offered post free on items I can sell for over a tenner. For the sake of a pound or so in stamps, it still is money I wouldn't have if I dumped the stuff at the Council tip.

But for a DVD you can only ask a couple of quid for, it just isn't worth the hassle. So yes, it's give away or the tip.

Now if anyone wants some Taunton, VHS videos, let me know!
:lol:

Love them or hate them you simply cannot survive without Paypal if you have an online business and there is no rival to ebay at the moment and brings in a lot of business to all areas of the woodworking sector. Sorry to hear of your problems and hope you get them sorted.

Benchwayze":q72kca24 said:
Vormulac":q72kca24 said:

Hi Vormulac,

If you remove banking and C/C links, how do you fund PayPal when you make a purchase through them?

John
:)

Hi John,

On the rare occasion I buy something on ebay I simply add my card, make the payment and remove it again.

That sounds like a sensible strategy.

But each time you register the card do you have to repeat the procedure whereby PayPal debits you £1.00, so you can get a number from your statement. The number you then enter into Paypal a few days later?

(To confirm the card and get your £1.00 returned)
John

My paypal account is only ever linked to my bank account when I need to remove money from the paypal account - then it get's unlinked again.
I don't have a worry about paying for something via paypal. If the goods don't arrive then I'll issue a chargeback on the credit card.
Actually though the only time something hasn't arrived it has been a screw up by the post office - it went back to therecieves office and nothing was left to tell me.
When it comes to tracking. Only a crazy seller would allow people to select postage that wasn't tracked for any item of value. The item remains the responsibility of the seller until such a time as the buyer actually signs for (or accepts receipt of) the item.

Thanks JL,

I am aware of the tracking policies etc, although that wasn't the original issue!

There are a lot of sellers on eBay who conveniently disregard or don't know, that missing parcels are the responsibility of the sender.
Some of the cheeky so and so's even put in their listing, words to the effect:

'If a parcel goes missing in the post, it's not my problem'!!! Cheek!

NTS I never buy from idiots like that.

John :)

Hi John,

No, I haven't had to go through the procedure each time - I think they only do that once to verify the account rather than the payment method.

V.

Soulfly":1aq5jpus said:
Love them or hate them you simply cannot survive without Paypal if you have an online business

unless of course you use google checkout , or mals cart or one of the other similar services (you have to use paypal on ebay, but there are many other options for ecomerce on your own site)

Come to that Soullfly you said (on the craft fairs thread) you were set up to process credit card transactions yourself - if thats so then you have no need of paypal.

Back