eBay changing method of payment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
I received an email from eBay today confirming they are making payments direct to my bank account from 31st May 2021 rather than into a Paypal account and requesting my bank account details. They say I will save the Paypal fees but they are increasing eBay selling fees!

Am I alone in trusting as few companies as possible with my bank account details? For some reason I trusted Paypal with the details because I regarded them as a bank but eBay is a buying ad selling company.

If I opt not to give them bank account details I will be unable to sell on their site after 31st May. Looks like my selling days on eBay are over or am I being over-cautious?

Regards Keith

Here is some more explanation on it: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/11/ebay-axes-paypal-sellers-bank-accounts-upping-fees/

Have you thought of getting a Monzo card? You then give ebay those account details and keep very little cash in there.
Thanks southendwoodworker for the idea. I'd never heard of Monzo but will look into it.

There was another good bit of advice in the article about Paypal charging an annual fee for an inactice account. I use Paypal for many internet purchases as well as eBay so I do not have to give out my credit card details.

Regards Keith

I don't sell on Ebay, only buy. Previously using Paypal but since they split from Ebay, all transactions have been carried out using my Visa debit card with no problems.

ditto to the above - always use emails about changes as impetus to go manually to the main site and navigate from there, or work through an official app. I'm sometimes surprised that my two credit card companies will go on about fraud at length and send emails with live links to the card/account page not that long after.

I guess the marketing and fraud department are probably at odds with each other. If there's enough marketing value to the email, the salespeople always seem to win.

I don't know what the rules are in the UK, but I understood the original email to suggest that you could use ebay and your bank and get one fee, or still use paypal and the fee would be another (slightly higher). Ebay also increased fees overall for several categories - I doubt it'll be the last increase. You can grow or increase margin. I can't imagine they're going to grow much further and if someone ever gets a significant share of the market across all categories........................who are we kidding, ebay would just acquire them before they gather much market share at a lower fee level.

In the US, I took the email to say that if you're not a professional seller, you could continue to accept only paypal and eliminate the issue granting ebay access to a bank account. Above and beyond that, as much as I've heard people complain about ebay and bank accounts, I've never seen anyone have an issue with anything other than ebay or PP taking money out of an account to settle a dispute that a seller loses.

I have moved to the new system and it seems to be ok. However it's a pain with the money going into my back as I always kept the transaction money in PayPal. So on being emailed that the money as been played I just move it back to PayPal. There is no fee for doing this.

Some years ago, when I was in business, I asked my bank about the safety or otherwise of giving out my bank account number and sort code. The bank assured me it was safe and standard practice. Knowing this information will allow anyone to pay money IN to the account but does not allow anyone to take money OUT. I assume this is still true but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Some years ago, when I was in business, I asked my bank about the safety or otherwise of giving out my bank account number and sort code. The bank assured me it was safe and standard practice. Knowing this information will allow anyone to pay money IN to the account but does not allow anyone to take money OUT. I assume this is still true but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Just giving your bank account number and sort code is not a problem in itself. If you do it off the back of a link in a scam e-mail however the fraudster has correlated the bank details with your e-mail address. Typically the fraudulent link will direct you to a site which will ask you to enter a user name and security details ... and clicking the link in the e-mail will have downloaded spyware onto your computer.

I think eBay are gradually pricing themselves out of the market. They have certainly put me off being a seller. Fees are now a final value fee of 12.8%, including 12.8% charged on your cost of delivery, plus 30p per order, plus they delay paying you by a few days, whereas PayPal payment was pretty much instant. There is now no benefit to the seller of buyers paying in cash.

Thanks Blackswanwood. It's always unwise to click links in emails unless you are 100% sure they are safe. I meant giving the details to customers. You're right though - better safe than sorry.

If you stop using PayPal do remember they will start to charge you a £12 account inactivity fee after a year. So if eBay is your only use of PayPal close the account.

Although that is correct, and years ago it probably didn't matter, its best to be cautions these days.
Jeremy Clarkson once gave the world his bank account and sort code to prove this point, and someone set up a direct debit to a charity in his name and it paid out.

Important to be aware that phishing scammers gather as much information as they can before launching a sophisticated con pretending to be the police or the bank etc etc. 99% of the time you are on your guard and spot them coming, but that 1% is when by co-incidence you were expecting their call and the information they have about you they use to allay concerns.
My elderly mother got called by the police in London to say they had caught a fraudster trying to pass off my fathers credit card. They new the sort code, bank account number etc its all seemed plausible to start with, she had a 30 minute call going into the details of what was supposedly being fraudulently purchased, then they asked a question about a bank detail that raised suspicions and luckily she was NOT in a rush, had her wits about her, and so she put the phone down and phoned the local bank branch to find out it was a fraud. If she had been in a rush she would probably done what she was asked to do, but luckily she was at home feeling calm.

At work last week, we received an invoice from a new supplier, one we had recently contacted with, the email was 'supposedly from the supplier' it had our bank account etc and theirs, it just needed goods inwards to electronically tick the sign button, as you do these days. Luckily they checked with accounts etc. Turned out its was a sophisticated scam from North Korea, we won a vaccine contract from the government earlier this year and appears the publicity had attracted the attention of Chinese, Russian and N Korean hit list for sophisticated phishing. Trying to get the science information and our money.
So my advice is give as little away as you have to.

I regret this change by eBay. I used my PayPal account as a useful private means of gathering a bit of cash for the odd Christmas, anniversary or birthday present for my wife. And yes, it was a bit of a slush fund for essential workshop items.
Worked happily all the time, and the money from eBay sales often appeared in my PayPal account within minutes. A recent sale took several days to show. Not what I'd call progress.

Back