A 'Warning' about PayPal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I sold an expensive item on eBay a few days ago.
The buyer duly lodged the money with PayPal. When I tried to access my account, the money was there in spirit, but was held in limbo by PayPal. I was unable to confirm receipt.

I was informed that the amount was larger than the permitted ceiling for my account, (European Rules of course) and that I had to confirm my account details; in other words despite the fact they know full well where the money came from, and how it got there, I am falling foul of a rule that was put in place to prevent 'money-laundering'.

Of course it isn't the buyer's problem and I have to take the word of PayPal that the buyer can't back out, and I must send the item to the buyer, before I accept the cash!

Of course it will take 'only a couple of weeks' to sort out this problem! :evil:

So if you want to sell something expensive through eBay, it's worth lifting the 'limit' on your account, to make sure this doesn't happen to you.

Regards
John :)

Please don't get me started on those usurious slithery no-good pestilential egregious conniving arrogant toe-rags.

You can sell a working item of computer equipment (in my case a graphics card) and get paid only to find out that the buyer is a pillock and wrecks the card then claims it was never working, lodges a complaint with PayPal, who on nothing more than a whim, side with the buyer and you are left holding the can.

Any company that deliberately lodges itself in Luxembourg or Leichtenstein or some other location of inaccessible legal action can hardly be said to have any integrity.

John, I hope you still have your grandmothers brth certificate, dog licence, school term reports, holiday photographs from 2001 that you can send them to 'prove' you are who you say you are.

I refuse to have an account with PayPal.

Credit card is the only way to go or take a cheque and bank then despatch goods when you can actually draw out the cash and close your bank account. :)

I have had many problems with PayPal over the years. However, I generally find that for all the problems, they've also helped me with rogue sellers and dodgy dealers. I think that generally their rules and regulation are there to help. It's just that they aren't human enough to actually analyse a problem when things are complicated.

Thanks fellas,

You can be sure after this debacle, I don't deal any more with PayPal.

It might affect sales on the 'bay', but I shall just put an explanation in my item 'description' as to why I won't accept paypal. I come across plenty of sellers who also won't take paypal.

And I believe eBay have a deep deep interest in PayPal. You would think that the numbheads would realise there are scam artisits on both sides of the deal.

Amazon are not much better! I just sold a DVD through them, and the grasping so and so's charged the buyer £3.17 for P&P.

I sent the DVD and it cost me 90p First Class. OK, the balance goes into my pocket, but I am unhappy about it.

Despite many sellers on Amazon, bringing this up, Amazon insist on charging P&P as if it was their sale.

I hope the buyer doesn't blame me!
:?

John

wizer":9x6qxtha said:
I have had many problems with PayPal over the years. However, I generally find that for all the problems, they've also helped me with rogue sellers and dodgy dealers. I think that generally their rules and regulation are there to help. It's just that they aren't human enough to actually analyse a problem when things are complicated.

I'd second that.

I "bought" a plane off e-bay last year which never turned up. The seller insisted that he had sent it, although it was by normal parcel service and, therfore, untrackable. He wanted me to go and pay a visit to the local Royal Mail depot to try and sort it out. Eventually he argued that it was my problem and if it was lost in transit that is my problem.

Paypal soon sorted out a refund, and I got a really Cumquats message form him complaining about the unjustness of it all :lol:

It seems to be heavily biased towards the buyer rather than seller.

Cheers

Karl

Benchwayze":1n1hyjnf said:
I don't deal any more with PayPal.

It might affect sales on the 'bay', but I shall just put an explanation in my item 'description' as to why I won't accept paypal. I come across plenty of sellers who also won't take paypal.

I may be wrong, but I think that e-bay INSIST that PayPal is a payment option. Like you say, Ebay seem to have a deep interest in PayPal.

Cheers

Karl

If he was honest then you can see his point of view, but then he was dumb not to send it using a tracked service. Ultimately common sense tell us that it's his problem because it's up to him to make sure it's delivered safely. So PayPal are right and most of the time that's how it works. Occasionally there are times when that system doesn't work. For example, I sent someone something via a courier once. He wasn't in and it got sent back to the depot. It sat there for a couple of weeks then came back to me. The buyer then complained that he'd not received it So I either had to pay for another delivery out of my own pocket or refund him. PayPal wouldn't see reason in that situation, even tho it's his fault for not picking it up from the depot or arranging another delivery.

I empathise Karl.

There are some right idiots dealing on eBay (I suppose it's a built-in fault.)

Some of the twits even say they won't be responsible for a missing parcel they send out! And eBay allow it! Sheeshh!

As explained by my local, friendly sub-postmaster:

It's quite simple. If you send an item you keep the receipt because it's your job to make enquiries into missing items, not the recipient's.

I don't have the mechanism to accept C/C, but in future it's cheques or Postal Orders. If they don't trust me, then hard-layers! They can buy elsewhere.

John

:)

Karl":1e4wv52l said:
Benchwayze":1e4wv52l said:
I don't deal any more with PayPal.

I may be wrong, but I think that e-bay INSIST that PayPal is a payment option. Like you say, Ebay seem to have a deep interest in PayPal.

Cheers

Karl
I think this is the case....so what happens if a buyer insists on paying with PP, even though you have stated very clearly in the blurb that you won't accept it and he/she does in fact drop money into your PP account...what happens then? - Rob

Then I tell them I bill them the surcharge that PP takes!
Or find another means of selling. Probably adverts in the local Daltons etc.

:)

Ebay seem to have a deep interest in PayPal.

Ebay owns Paypal

I have only ever had one problem with something i purchased on ebay, if i hadnt used paypal at that time, i would have lost my money.

buying something online, i do prefer to use either a credit card or paypal, simply because it adds protection to you money.

And _ALWAYS_ make sure that the page is secure. i.e. starts with https:// before you put so much as your name in.

Paul.V.

Does that mean you've broken your own rule? (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk) :wink:

Seriously, I've had problems with late receipts / non-deliveries and FRAUD through eBay (spit).

Mostly the buyers accepted the fact that the postal service had let us both down, they'd been on holiday, whatever...

The FRAUD on the other hand only came to light when I checked my bank statement - I hadn't been on eBay for about 6 weeks, yet 4 weeks prior some toerag in the states had received £515 pounds for a pair of Nike Trainers... PP took money out of my OWN bank account, paid him, thought it was dodgy, and put it back into the PP account - not sending it back to my OWN bank account- i was overdrawn by £500, for 4 WEEKS :shock: before I knew anything about it...

They DID however (after I had spoken to the bank) sort it out, and the bank removed all O/D charges... Still - I haven't dealt with PP much since. Oh, except for Dibs-h, recently, where they charged me £3.43 for receiving money off him...(I refunded it (he got ALL his money back), and got the money via a different system).

So, mostly - it's cash on the spot from now on.

as paul v says ebay now own paypal..

paypal was ok when it wasn't owned by ebay but has gone downhill since being bought. espech as in ebays T&C's i think it says you must offer paypal.
so you are charged for listing, then for pics, then pos a selling fee and then a fee for using paypal (which they insist) and normally a fee for removing funds from paypal (well its happened to me).

if you do use paypal it should be linked to your credit card NOT your bank account. had a few mails off them saying i need to put bank details in to verify me as a user (various benifits stated). but if you ask you bank they will tell you not to do that as like mailman found out they will just pull money from your account and then if it looks dodgy they will keep hold of it for weeks. you just have to look on http://www.paypalsucks.com/ to see the stuff they pull everyday.

It's good to see that there is no danger of any hyperbole in this thread!

Jake":30c3hgj9 said:
It's good to see that there is no danger of any hyperbole in this thread!

Not heard of the "hyper" tree - does it turn well?

You'll have to ask Mike Garnham, as the resident expert on turning (but I don't think he's not the sort to use hyperbole much).

hi

i finished with paypal after they took money out of my account with out asking to repay some ars8***e who claimed my son sold him the wrong phone it took me six months to get it back from him .

i only bid on ebay after getting an agreement with seller s that i pay in cash on collection . paypal :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hc

Back