A voyage round my shop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
Some time ago (blimey... July 2004 :oops: ) I said I'd post some pics of the shop. Finally remembered to grab the camera while it was charged and grabbed these. At least now, compared with three years ago, there are more tools to look at :).

The shop is an old garage attached to the house - garage is really too small to take any but the smallest modern car so grabbing it for shop space was no problem. I do, however, have to share it with a large fridge/freezer, washing machine and dryer, so my available space is about 8ftx15ft.

1215612070_37da769091_o.jpg

Above: Looking left immediately after entering the single door from the house, my small Record bandsaw with shopmade extended table and Axminster add-on fence.

1214749831_b00ac76d66_o.jpg

Above: Next to the bandsaw, my Perform drill press with another shopmade table and fence. At the lower-right you can see part of the Perform planer-thicknesser (mobile base currently under construction). Upper-right you can just make out my wood storage rack completed this week. I'm happy about that as it's given me a load of floorspace back.

1215614112_2dc5f1a3ec_o.jpg

Above: the workbench, bought for DIY-type tasks before I knew anything about woodworking. It does have dogholes and provision for a deadman-style device for holding long boards. The vise that's just about visible replaced a wooden piece of junk that was great at racking itself and not much else. A large shelf below holds several hundred lbs of hardwood offcuts that stop the bench moving during planing.

1214751851_8c6fab7f04_o.jpg

Above: Left half of the tool cupboard above the bench. This was the very first woodworking project I completed and has served its purpose well.

1214752477_2ea6e688b3_o.jpg

Above: Right half of the tool cupboard. As seems to be usual, I didn't allow enough space for expansion (several other planes, including ploughs and combos are in cupboards on the other side of the shop).

1215616394_ddf0931046_o.jpg

Above and below: Because of the design of the cupboard, the original doors stand about 3ins off the wall, so I built these additional storage boards to hold a few additional tools. Not the best use of available space yet - tool storage is a work in progress :)

1215616916_78478e5026_o.jpg

1215617822_0159007ab3_o.jpg

Above: Looking down the right-hand wall from the door, the bulk of the storage. The cupboards and doors were remaindered at the borg costing little more than the raw materials would have.

The far end is currently covered in braces, handdrills and other finds awaiting cleaning and a permanent home. The plan is to keep a permanent sharpening station there eventually. The DAB radio is usually tuned to Planet Rock. Used-toothbrush collection for cleaning and rehabbing tools.

1214755165_68a10268a9_o.jpg

Above: Between the upper run of cupboards is this awkwardly-situated gas meter. After some distance travelled down the slope, I realised it was a good place for some saws.

And that's about it - not much, but it's all mine. I'm not great on spick-and-span, but there's not enough room to let it get really messy. I'm trying to find a place for everything.

It's a fun place to hang out and make sawdust :lol:

Thanks for posting the pics Gary - I always enjoy seeing other people's workshops even if they are all bigger than mine. Your tool storage looks great to me.

Why don't you box in the gas meter? Then you could hang tools in front of it too.

Pete,

Great workshop. Looks like you've got the important things well organised.

how do you find the new bandsaw fence from Axminster? How does it attach? Any problems with it? I've got a eb315 and the fence is terrible. Have been thinking about getting the Axminster fence.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for posting the pics, it's weirdly entertaining noseying to other peoples workshops. Looks very cosy! Nice range planes you have there :)

Pete W":1hsq9q04 said:
- tool storage is a work in progress :)

..*sigh* sadly a situation that never seems to end, especially as time goes on the available space decreases. Still you seem to have things fairly well under control.

Mark

nice shop wish i could keep mine that tidy.
david have an axminster fence on my table saw i find it great cam locking easy to fit solid when locked i think its good value

Lovely tidy shop i hope mines like that i am building it tommorrow (8x16 concrete sectional garage)

davejester":3owhxczl said:
how do you find the new bandsaw fence from Axminster? How does it attach? Any problems with it?

Hi Dave,

I think it would be better as a tablesaw fence since there's no mechanism to compensate for drift (although there is an adjusting screw to ensure the fence is at 90deg to the table). Otherwise, it's not bad for the price.

Fitting is easy: two brackets that fit to the table, a rail that slides onto the brackets, and the fence which simply sits on the rail on two roller bearings. All very solid, and it glides like a dream.

The lack of drift adjustment is the only real issue and I've found that a brand new blade cuts parallel to the fence anyway. It's only when I've cut a few curves that things start drifting off the straight and narrow. I'm also planning to remove the fence from the locking mechanism and see whether shimming it out of square is possible.

Pete

Fecn":2fvalvzi said:
Why don't you box in the gas meter? Then you could hang tools in front of it too.

For the simplest of all reasons... I didn't think of it :)

Pete

[Edit]
Oops :oops: Just re-read your suggestion and realised you said 'why don't', not 'why didn't'. I'll have a ponder... not sure I could box it and still keep the saw storage, which is handily placed at the moment.

Pete W":2wiys5o3 said:
It's only when I've cut a few curves that things start drifting off the straight and narrow.
Pete

Have you considered keeping curve cutting blades and straight rip blades separate? Few, if any, bandsaw blades will ever cut straight again once they've been used for cutting curves since the teeth on one side will always be duller.

Mark

MarkW":w9fwrpcc said:
Have you considered keeping curve cutting blades and straight rip blades separate?

Mark, you're absolutely right: that would be the smart, sensible thing to do. But I don't cut a lot of curved stuff at present and the temptation to just do a couple of quick cuts is irresistable :oops:

And I hate changing bandsaw blades.

Pete

Super workshop setup.
I wish someone would come and sort mine out, I've got twice your space (d/g) and its untidy and cannot get anymore equipment in.

Thanks for the info re the bandsaw fence. Perhaps an additional fence like those used to cut tapers might work laid against the axminster fence.
Anyone tried that?

Back