A Vase - comments welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to prove that I do actually do something, here's a vase I'm hoping to give as a 60th birthday present this weekend.
I say hoping, because it's trying to split... #-o

It's about 13" high, a 6" diameter. Hollowed using a Rolly Munro, sanded to 600 grit and finished with Chestnut food safe oil as I wanted a penetrating finish to bring out the grain.

Anyone know what the wood is?

Sue1.jpg

Sue2.jpg

Very nice looking vase Pete,but i would get it in a paper bag and keep it in a dry cool place and let it dry out more.
Not sure on the wood?
Edit:-
I would also try and get some superglue on the inside, on that pith/branch inclusion bit on the top.

A good natural colour display, I would make sure you get it soaked as much as possible with the oil and as Paul says try and even the external/internal humidity gradient as much as possible, slow is best, but as you are committed to the coming weekend that's not realistic.

I've had better luck with 'greener' wood vases by using Lemon Oil, the white spirit carrier seems to help with moisture gradient control, assume it's because the water is more miscible in the spirit than in the oils.

It went back out to the garage last night and got soaked in more oil, both inside (poured oil into it) and againg this morning. I'll have to bring it back in tonight though to make sure the oil hardens for the weekend.
I don't have any lemon oil to try and I'm trying to use up what I do have.
Thanks chaps :)

Hello,

The wood is heavily spalted maple, I guess. Turning it from a round log and leaving in the pith was a mistake, though, as that is a surefire way to cracking. I wish you good luck with the piece.

Have a nice day,

János

I'd say let it split if it wants to. It will just add character, of which it already has loads. That spalting is lovely and the shape shows it off nicely.

Latest posts

Back