A small woodworking lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am building a wooden clock and need to turn quite a few small items for it. I don't have a lathe so am looking to buy one. As a 79yo pensioner I don't have much spare cash so have been looking around and have found this one from Germany.
Has anybody had one of these, it certainly looks good for the money.............

Any other advice would be appreciated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55461-Be...235568?hash=item569ce1ddf0:g:0wkAAOSwrfVZV5DN

You may have got more specific answers if you posted this in the Woodturning - Lathes section. :)

That looks to be a chinese made lathe that is sold under various brand names eg SIP, Draper. I had the Draper version.
You will also need some turning tools & the means to sharpen them eg a bench grinder & probably a 4 jaw scroll chuck.
That's already doubled or trebled the price.
Although the ad says it comes with tools I think it means the drive & live centres, spanner, knock out bar etc.
Depending where you are in Devon there are woodturning clubs at Fremington (Barnstaple), Rattery (Totnes), Woodbury (Exeter), Paignton, Plymouth, Tavistock, Launceston, Burnham-on-sea ..... where you may find help or even the use of a lathe & tools.

As above - your cheapest option is probably to join a club. If you get on well you might even pick up a small lathe cheaply as people are always trading up (and down), and you will learn a lot anyway - including where not to waste money. :D
As Robbo says you will end up spending more on accessories than the lathe, and you may well find club membership is all you need spend on. Our club is £30 p.a. membership and £5 per turning night (ours is probably exceptional - four nights a week), so the cost isn't bad.

Many thanks folks. I'll look into the above. Right now my drill press has gone "wobbly" so that will be the priority! Probably needs new bearings or even a new spindle. I'll strip it down this afternoon!!

Back