A small cabinet for marking and layout tools.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henning

Established Member
Reaction score
In an attempt to get something done in the 'shop i wanted to make a small cabinet which could hold my layout tools.
As i got a starting set of Miller dowels for Christmas i wanted to incorporate that and i also had some walnut pocket hole plugs which i wanted to try.

So i set out to make a carcass, unfortunately, and being the newbie here i forgot to take any pic's before this one of the gluing up of the carcass:

271220091070.jpg

I fully agree one can never have enough (Bessey) clamps.

Here's the Miller Dowels, i have learnt that it's of importance to let the drillbit up several times to get rid of the debris. If not it just makes a way out itself. :oops: Visible in the pic. That didn't happen on the other side, and since this is a tool cabinet i just note what i learnt and carry on.

271220091071.jpg

Inside for the bottom i used pocket hole screws and walnut plugs against the pine carcass looks OK'ish:

271220091072.jpg

Which in turn sees me here:

281220091076.jpg

Then a door is needed. I have decided to use Lexan equivalent inside a basic frame:

281220091079.jpg

281220091081.jpg

Then clamps again. I built this from scrap after looking at various solutions and full of inspiration from reading on here:

281220091082.jpg

And door in clamps:

281220091083.jpg

Small euro- hinges and it's a cabinet of sorts:

281220091086.jpg

281220091087.jpg

Learnt a lot and any critique and/or helpful hints and tips are welcome.
Thanks for looking!

Good stuff - I really like the contrasting plugs, and the clear door for maximum gloatage :D

Henning":24c3c0ko said:
In an attempt to get something done in the 'shop i wanted to make a small cabinet which could hold my layout tools.
As i got a starting set of Miller dowels for Christmas i wanted to incorporate that and i also had some walnut pocket hole plugs which i wanted to try.

Learnt a lot and any critique and/or helpful hints and tips are welcome.
Thanks for looking!

It looks as though you should be using one of these flush-cutting saws to trim tour plugs and dowels
4224432427_54f2c583ea.jpg

or here

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=50663&cat=1,42884

I like it - especially the clear door.
Only thing I would say is that it looks like it could do with some shelves in it - which might be a bit of a challenge now you've glued it all up.

Looks a decent cabinet but I agree that some adjustable shelves for smaller items would have been useful. A see through front is good, but had it been ply or mdf you'd have been able to rack stuff out on the inside of the door. Still doable with the current front but just a bit more awkward. Handle to finish it of? - Rob

looks good. shelves on adjustable pins would be fine i would have thought. I would also in future maybe move the hinges so they are closer to the top and the bottom of the cabinet as they support the door better like that maybe 85-90mm centres from the door top/bottom.

cheers

jon

I really like the way the sides curve. How did you manage that :wink:

Nice cabinet - don't forget to post the pics when it's full

Andy

looking good so far - I like the use of Miller Dowels - I also learned (the hard way!) the importance of clearing out all the dust before driving the dowel home... With the glue in there as well, there isn't enough room left and it's very easy to split anything an inch or less thick. :oops: Next time, I'll use a vacuum to get all the dust out, first! :wink:

Fine Christmas project, Henning! :D

Santa has been good to you! I'm just tidying and tidying... and tidying....... and tidying a bit more.... ](*,)

Merry Christmas to you!

Thanks all for the replies! I appreciate all the feedback.

1. Flushcutting saw. I was sure i had one, but i couldn't for the life of me find it. When i did find it it wasn't a flush cutting saw but another japanese saw... Will be ordering from Lee valley soon and i'll make sure to get one then.

2. Shelves. This was never supposed to have shelves, i will do a picture of the inside to show how it's been laid out to give a general idea.

3. See through vs. useful front: I like the idea of beeing able to tell if what i need is where it's supposed to with a glance.

4. Hinges. I had to do them like that due to the inside and the way it's laid out. I have noted the 85- 90mm. from top and bottom, though.

Thanks again for all the helpful feedback, i appreciate it!

Back