A simple garage project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieJ

Established Member
Reaction score
What with one thing and another I haven't been around for quite sometime. To get back on track, here is a garage project that I finished today.

The plans were drawn up using a brick build which was just too costly, so a traditional green oak frame build was decided upon instead. I was then left to design and build it how I saw fit.

Size wise, it is 9,500mm wide x 7,400mm deep x 7,500mm tall.

dscf9610u.jpg

Timber being dropped off.

g70m.jpg

On the mill.

q9d5.jpg

Sawn out and in my workshop.

dscf9570o.jpg

dscf9572r.jpg

Under construction.

img20130516140558.jpg

The building inspector said that the following was a work of art, and that it seemed a shame to cover it up. I tend to agree.
t9fc.jpg

b0ll.jpg

kwme.jpg

t08a.jpg

Staircase. Not how I would have liked to have made them, but at 380kg I wasn't going to muck around with pre assembly and lift. Pressure to get the job finished this week, meant that the staircase had to be loosely fitted, raised a fraction, then the pads were excavated and concreted.

9ti3.jpg

xe7v.jpg

f6zn.jpg

That looks fantastic! would love to do that type of work. Why is that bridging on the internal stud walls angled? just curious

Fantastic - what else can one say? :)

Out of interest how much was the price difference in terms of percentage?

Rod

Thanks for the kind comments. :)

byrnsey":h5dzdmki said:
Why is that bridging on the internal stud walls angled? just curious

Annoyingly I was under a lot of pressure to get the frame made and on site within 2 weeks, which meant that there wasn't enough time for me to construct the frame in a way that I would have preferred. Ideally the main posts would have extended to full 800mm lift above the top plate, rather than stopping at the top plate.
Stopping them short at plate height, creates a further joint and potential weak link in respect of the frame spreading out. The rear isn't so bad as it uses the tied in logstore and logstore rafters to prevent this. The main issue was with the front and by constructing the ashlar wall, purling and extra horizontal plate along with the diagonal/angled bracing, the roof is prevented from spreading out.
It worked brilliantly and I really enjoyed the process of getting over the problem, but in reality the time saved in the workshop was well and truly lost on site.

Harbo":h5dzdmki said:
Out of interest how much was the price difference in terms of percentage?

Rod

Hi Rod, I assume that you mean the difference between the two construction methods? In truth I haven't sat down to work that one out yet.

Charlie Woody":1kqmxvaj said:
What a lovely job! As mentioned above I look forward to seeing your complex work if that was simple!!

Sorry, that more of a tongue in cheek comment. It actually taxed my brain to death. :wink:

mickthetree":1kqmxvaj said:
Yeah, what was the price? I only ask as that is bigger than my HOUSE!! :lol: :lol:

Put it this way, it is something that I could never afford to own, and is also sadly bigger than my house as well. :D

Back