A routing master has joined the board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, the last two postings were me. I thought I was signed in and editing to change "lok" to "look". Another senior moment. :(

Cheers
Neil

template tom":3r10s5rc said:
I do not follow your reasoning re your last statement "as a guide for cutting a template guide". another question Mark where do you get the curved blank from originally you referred to.

Tom?

Hi Tom,

The blank I was referring to would be a sheet of mdf...or whatever material the template was to be made from.

When I said 'guide for cutting a template guide' I was meaning that if I wanted to make a template to cut a curve which just so happened to be the same radius as a dinner plate I had lying around....could I clamp the dinner plate to the template and use a bearing guided 40mm straight cutter to cut a curved channel into the template. Then use the 40mm template guide to follow this curve and re-create the curve of my dinner plate on the workpiece?

Mark.

Anonymous":2zx3bh4s said:
template tom":2zx3bh4s said:
I do not follow your reasoning re your last statement "as a guide for cutting a template guide". another question Mark where do you get the curved blank from originally you referred to.

Tom?

Hi Tom,

The blank I was referring to would be a sheet of mdf...or whatever material the template was to be made from.

When I said 'guide for cutting a template guide' I was meaning that if I wanted to make a template to cut a curve which just so happened to be the same radius as a dinner plate I had lying around....could I clamp the dinner plate to the template and use a bearing guided 40mm straight cutter to cut a curved channel into the template. Then use the 40mm template guide to follow this curve and re-create the curve of my dinner plate on the workpiece?

Mark.

Thanks Mark
I now have a better picture as to what you are trying to achieve, all sorts of shapes are readily available in your local craft store to copy the way you have depicted. There is still a need to do some calculations on constructing templates I learned the hard way as there was a 'need to know' situation that cropped up many times. I think I have mastered it now though I still look for that challenge and in most cases using logic it works. Happy routering.
Tom

Latest posts

Back