A rather old 'Rose'.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGNAL

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought this might be of some interest to those of the fretting fraternity. I'm currently restoring a musical instrument of the Cittern family. The 18th century Cittern is a tear drop shaped Guitar like instrument that has metal strings. It was in vogue from around 1750 through to 1850, when it fell out of favour. This one dates from around 1770 and has an interesting central rose pattern with a little fretwork.

Virtually all of the fretted pieces are broken. They are in Pearwood, around 1.8 mm thick. The Black/White chevron pieces are in Bone and Ebony.
Despite owning two scrollsaws (one is a hobbies treadle) I cut the replacement pieces by hand using a small fretsaw. I'm not skilled enough to use the powered saws on such small pieces and I still wish to retain my fingertips. It took a bit of practice to get them anywhere close to the originals. Even then I had to mess around with abrasives to refine them. Perhaps not the best solution.
It's most likely that the originals were cut on one of the French type marquetry chevalets. They are beautifully cut.
Not sure what the rose itself depicts. It is a 12 pointed star and I do know that the number 12 has some religious and perhaps mystic significance. I somehow doubt that it's 'just a geometric' pattern.
Here's the restored rose and a 'copy' that I've started to make.

That's lovely! and VERY intricate work, It always amazes me how the craftsmen 100's of years ago managed to make such detailed items considering how hard it is nowadays with modern tools/materials and best of all bright electric lights! imagine working by candlelight today and just shows how talented they were and great to see people like yourself continuing the work.
Cheers
Brian

Back