A Question for Bosch GMF Router Owners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening Gents,

Can some kind soul help me out with a simple question regarding the guide bush holder /"guide sleeve" on a GMF1400CE router?

I believe this holder is meant to be spring loaded but I cannot find a spring in the box I have kept all the bits in, there is no obvious place where one fits, one is not shown on the parts diagram & neither Axi' nor Bosch can help me whatsoever.

Ideally I would like a photo' of the spring & the spring in place please.. or otherwise let me know how it stays shut with all the vibrating without a spring.

As ever I would be very grateful for any help.

Togs

My GOF 2000 router uses the same bushes as yours and they just drop in after pushing the little button to one side and back again. No obvious spring but there must be one inside as you can feel it. The guide fits in quicker than it took me to type this.

Hiya Myfordman,

I know it's easy to use, but it's not easy on the wallet when the guide works loose during use !

I have never needed it until recently so it's not been mounted .. & when not mounted there's nothing to hold to 2 halves together & that's when the spring has disappeared which is why I am surprised that it's not sold separately. If I knew what it looks like then I'd have some hope of finding it.. I guess it's not like the common shaped tension/compression spring because I cannot see where it would fit in the holder..

Any chance of a photo if you have 10-15 minutes to spare?

(I take it from your name that you like Myford lathes. ..I have an ML4 that I have had for years now & have it modified with a 3ph motor & inverter drive ..but have yet to run it up. A fact that bugs me a lot & very often..)

Apologies for the delay, I had my domestic chores to do before permission to enter workshop was granted!

My guide bush clamp was fitted from new and has never been taken off so here is what it looks like in situ.

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

Clamp removed

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

Prise off the operating button carefully

IMG_1941.JPG

Carefully open to reveal AND RETAIN ! spring

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1946.JPG

Retaining screws are CSK M4 x 10mm

Spring wire is ~0.55mm

photo shows free lengths.

I'm afraid I forgot to measure the spring diameter but my eyes are fairly well calibrated and I would say 5-5.5mm OD.

IMG_1947.JPG

At some stage when routing, these guide bushes will fall apart as they are crudely pressed together.
They are stupidly expensive to replace so move to a better system.
Take the remains and bore out concentrically to make an adaptor to some proper bushing system. This one shown tend to be referred to as the Porter Cable (American) system but widely available in sets of brass adaptors for not too much money and with your lathe easy enough to make up and special sizes you might need as well.

bottom view

IMG_1948.JPG

top view

IMG_1949.JPG

Or in your position, I would dump the Bosch system altogether as it has few redeeming features other than no tool release.

Make an adaptor to pick up on the two holes in the router base and to fit the PC guide bush system and never look back.

Hope this helps

I bought a Myford ML7RB a few years after I started work in 1979 and a Myford VMC milling machine in 1987. Originally I fitted big DC motors to get speed control and then when inverters came down to a sensible price, changed to three phase power and torque control. I also gave my son a middle name of Myford, so yes you could say I'm a Myford fan. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1937.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1938.JPG
    IMG_1938.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 58
You're a star - thank you very much !
I have just looked high & low for it then wrote "Unfortunately I have absolutely no memory of ever seeing a spring like that" but then stopped typing to take everything out of my router drawer & there underneath a bit holder tray was the spring !!

Why the blooming heck don't Bosch sell this as a spare part ?

I will take a look at the system you recommend.

I laughed out loud when I read you that you'd named your son Myford. I knew someone called Stanley for a similar reason.. he was not impressed by it so he called himself Nose.

I definitely owe you one.

Togs

I don't have one of those routers, but even so I reckon Myfordman deserves some sort of award for giving such a comprehensive, helpful answer!
=D> =D> =D>

Myfordman":30u93v2n said:
Thanks Andy
Why not pop in to TheWoodhaven2.co.uk now and then for lots of other helpful stuff

I've looked occasionally when people mention it but the level of traffic is too low, especially if you discount the good stuff which is also posted on here. I never did get what the original upset was which prompted the split.

Latest posts

Back