A proposition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
This posting is a business proposition, but I have checked with the Moderators first and I thank Charley et al for their permission.

For some time I have been considering, "slowing down".

Most of my work involves large commissions such as shopfitting and I would like to return to what I started doing, making one-offs for discerning clients.

My workshops are situated on a farm complex in Hertfordshire, just North of London, the complex consists of a Tea Rooms, Delicatessen, Butchers, Fishmongers, flolrist, Quality gift shop, Perfumerie, Home Interiors,Aga cookers, Fired Earth, Pet Supplies,the obligatory New Age shop and me.

It is a wealthy area and the footfall is very high, customers here expect quality and will pay for it.

An opportunity to take on a shop has come my way and I would like to take it.

The idea would be to fill it with one off pieces of everything from small boxes to pieces of furniture.

My question to the forum is, would any of you be interested in selling pieces to me, I noticed an earlier post where one of our number was bemoaning that he didn't know how to sell his excess furniture.

It is not my intention to make the profits of larger retailers, but a profit will have to be made to pay rent, rates,electric and a part-time member of staff(opening is seven days a week) .

It could be worked in two ways either you sell direct to me at your price or let me sell it at the best price possible and we split 50/50, or if anyone has a better idea, I'm listening.

The logistics of delivery/collection on smaller pieces, e.g. jewellery boxes would not be a problem but larger pieces would need to be collected and this would increase the price of resale.

I need your input as the landlord will not hold the shop too long.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Should you be interested in selling Charley has asked that it be done either via PM or E-mail.
Ideas though can of course be discussed on the open forum

Dom

Sounds interesting.

Will the shop have a specific theme? eg. contemporary furniture or will it be just what you can get your hands on?

A nice idea. Trouble with me is it takes far too long to make something and then it is usually made for a specific purpose, however I am sure the idea will appeal to the more prolific woodworkers out there. Best of luck with your plans.

regards

Brian

Slimjim81":1wavt2xt said:
Sounds interesting.

Will the shop have a specific theme? eg. contemporary furniture or will it be just what you can get your hands on?

No specific theme, just good quality and when possible uniqueness

I am interested and I live in North London plus go to Hatfield now and then.

Making new bits and selling them is the way I would like to take my work.
:)

One of the problems faced by small makers is always how to find a suitable window for their "masterpieces". So when someone comes up with a proposal like this one I, for one, feel like having their arm off :shock: , especially as I don't see myself having a showroom in the near future, nor moving back down to the Home Counties from the (at least tonight) frozen Pennines.

Good luck with your venture!

Scrit

Thank you to everyone who has PM'd me so far.
Should anyone be doubtful, or just curious, PM or e-mail me and I will send you my telephone number and we can arrange to meet and look over the premises
There's always a warm welcome at the Tea Rooms, I know some of you are close to my area so please don't be shy, I want this to be as open as possible.
For those of you further away there's Ryanair, or, there is a private airfield for your light aircraft and helicopters less than a mile away.

Dom

I want to wish you good luck Dom, I really like the sound of the idea and hope it works out well for you. Maybe in 15yrs when I have completed my workshop I'll have something to offer you ;)

Thank you WIZeR,

If your back is still playing you up I've got some serious strapping we use for clamping and anyway you've got a kitchen, make summat there.

Dom

don't mention the kitchen, i'm being nagged to start on that... :shock:

Dom - sounds like a great idea and I might be interested later. Would be very encouraged to see how this proposition pans out. I make one offs and sometimes I have thought about flogging something but haven't got a scooby about how to do it - would be interesting to see how a few small items (boxes or turned items say) were sold. Smaller pieces wouldn't incur too much in the way of carriage either. Keep us all posted on the way things are progressing - Rob

Nice to see you Dom :D

I went to see where the shop is today and from what I can, it does look like a good place for this type of shop.

It is a nice area and setting where it is.

If you do it Dom, I hope my work makes the cut 8-[ :whistle: :wink:

Hmmmmm . I think the Legacy owners will enjoy the practice :lol:
Look out for 40'000 failed hollow spirals coming your way :D

Colin,
Yes it was good, to meet you too, thanks for the encouragment,shame you couldn't stop for a third bottle of wine :)

JFC, I ordered 50,000, do try and keep up

Hi Dom

Well after the three course meal, I was a bit full :wink: :D

There was not much encouragement needed as I think you should on to a winner if the stock can be sorted as you also know the area. :)

Dom,

It sounds like a realy good idea and I wish you every luck with your venture.

I think that I might be in a position in the future to produce items for you but work and family are taking up a large proportion of my time at the moment. :?

Hope it works out well.

All the best,

Thank you Barry,

Find the time, extra money is always useful when you have a family and I know the right pieces will sell, my books are full for the next three months and am turning work away or farming it out,

Dom

Hi Dom,

I'm afraid I can't contribute pieces at the moment but maybe in the future. Our local pub sells anything and everything on display. They invite antiques and the likes to be displayed hence saving them on furniture. I'm not sure how much they sell but I have seen a few people interested in buying. My point is that if you can get people through the doors for something cheaper i.e. a meal, they may see something they like and spend more money. By doing this you're less likely to fail because you've already diversified. Could you sell local wine, beer, or something else that is cheap?

Hope I haven't already missed the part where you've already thought about this. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Dave

Latest posts

Back