A picture paints a thousend words

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
A week or so ago I was given some Eucalyptus. I came on and asked for advice and was warned by George how much it warps ... and by george he was right! :lol:

I normally tell any kind people who donate wood to me that I will make them a little piece as a thank you. often however, I think they think I have forgotten them and don't grasp how important it is to treat green wood right and the consequences of rushing it. :cry:

SO, with the aforementioned warning in mind I set out to turn a piece from very green, glue a solid dry piece to the bottom (so it stressed the rest more) and took it from being wet and cool into a warm and dry room (on the window ledge in the sun)

DSCF3782.jpg

DSCF3781.jpg
DSCF3780.jpg

Sorry a bit of photo trouble there! :oops:

I think she is still going, get weirder each morning... just like me!

Yep that's about par for the course.
For the next bit try an open form goblet shape and get the thickness down to 1-2mm (so you can see light through it) and you may get a handkerchief folded result.

This was wet Hazel but but it shows the form I'm refering to, even with this the thick stem and wide base are at risk.
smDSC01276.JPG

Hi Mrs S !

Have to get a bit thinner than that with Eucalyptus !

ig98-16c.jpg

Seaflower by Melvyn Fermager

Here is a little beaker 40mm dia 65mm tall from green holy. Within minutes it started moving. Side is 2mm thick. It has now stopped moving. :lol:

001-10.jpg

well, she is still on the move! I'll post my first proper go when I get time to try it, but if this don't get the message through to people that I can't rush it, I don't know what will. :?

Back