A newby Wadkin setup question from Australia.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a quick analysis of my machine and there are some obvious differences.

First the details of the parts

rf1.jpg

Now the external appearance of the mechanism - on my machine the whole shaft assembly is further in the machine and the actual angle pointer is a different shape and closer in to the body of the saw.

rf2.jpg

rf3.jpg

As for the inner bits I have an inner partially coned (to miss the trunnion teeth) spacer, then the thrust washers and finally the the worm gear held right beneath the teeth on the trunnion.

rf4.jpg

My immediate thoughts are that maybe part 40 is fixed too far forwards. Maybe the whole assembly has been disassembeled in the past and not put back together correctly. In fact looking at the pictures it looks as if there is a repaired part of the trunnion casting just below the worm gear. It is quite possible that if and when it was put back together incorrectly that the end of the worm gear reached far enough to just mesh with the teeth on the trunnion - after use the end of the worm gear has worn and no longer meshes.

With the handle components removed and the front roll pin(s) also removed the whole shaft ought to be in a position to move inwards and allow access to the roll pin holding the worm gear to the shaft.

I'll go back and get my head and camera right inside the saw and see if I can get any more details or info including how part 40 fixes to the trunnion mechanism.

Misterfish

I used to have an AGS and from memory the mechanism is held in by the worm on the end and the bearing that runs behind it.

I think you might be missing that bearing and by replacing it will pull the whole mechanism forward.

I would take it apart and have a look.

Tom

Thank you gentlemen.
cerdeira ,thanks I thought part 70 must be integral to the set up but couldn't work out how.It is loose in the housing .

Misterfish... I think you have it ! I'm not sure how I will be able to move it further in and will await further advice on that one. 40mm /1 1/2" would about do it.

My immediate thoughts are that maybe part 40 is fixed too far forwards. Maybe the whole assembly has been disassembeled in the past and not put back together correctly. In fact looking at the pictures it looks as if there is a repaired part of the trunnion casting just below the worm gear. It is quite possible that if and when it was put back together incorrectly that the end of the worm gear reached far enough to just mesh with the teeth on the trunnion - after use the end of the worm gear has worn and no longer meshes.

There is no repair there just a bit of discoloration.

Am I going to be able to get the worm mechanism into the right position without a major disassembly?

and THANK YOU all .Most extremely generous of you all! :D

Episode 2!

Looking at the diagram the cone ended washer is (I think) the inner end of part 40.
So I used the compressor to blow out the wood dust and took a couple of pictures showing the level of protrusion of the rise and fall handle with pointer which shows it is much further in than yours (no comments please!). I tried supporting the weight of the motor and trunnion but didn't matter what I did I couldn't see what held it all together in the right place apart from the weight of the motor.

These are the pictures, but everything is tightly packed at the front of the trunnion and little detail is visible.

rf5.jpg

rf6.jpg

rf7.jpg

So I went back to the parts diagram and noticed part 70 described as a gas pipe screw.

rf8.jpg

I then went back and photographed this part on my machine through the curved slot in the front of the saw (it's underneath the sawdust deflector). This I think is the screw that allows the whole rise and fall spindle assembly to be slid in and out. I reckon if you loosen this you should be able to slide everything further in and position the worm drive under the correct part of the trunnion teeth. You may need to remove the tilt angle scale pointer. Once the front bits for the handle are back in place and part 70 is tightened it ought to work.

rf9.jpg

Have a 'play' and see if that helps.

Misterfish

Thanks again Misterfish, I won't be able to play tonight, it's nearly 10pm and I've got an early start tomorrow. I'll have a go tomorrow evening .... at least I have a direction to follow now !

I'm going to have to manually lift the pivoting section with trunnion UP away from the the worm so that I can slide it in and under .That will be interesting! I'm not sure if it will work. If that doesn't work I may have to pull the winder mechanism out , knock out the worm pin , then replace it while it's in the correct position? Ideally I should just be able to wind it in but that hasn't worked as the worm won't mesh sufficiently with the rack .

I'll post my results.

I have the motor off so I've got reasonable access .

You shouldn't need to lift the trunnion but just 'screw' it into place by turning the rise and fall handle. As the diameter of the worm gear is wider than the hole in the trunnion so you can't just pull it out - in fact it is the end of the worm gear that is against the trunnion, so you have to get the whole lot further in. Bear in mind the trunnion does not physically sit on the worm gear, it sits below the trunnion that is suspended on the bearing cradles front and back.

I would have thought try the following:

1. Remove screw 41 and the angle pointer from the front of the machine.
2. Loosen the 'gas pipe screw' 70 which is holding the assembly too far forward. At this stage the whole of the rise and fall mechanism should then be a loose fit in the hole machined through the trunnion.
3. If you haven't already done so reinsert the front roll pin you removed, replace the handle and then push the whole assembly inwards so that the worm gear just starts touching the teeth on the trunnion.
4. Carefully start turning the rise and fall wheel ensuring the grooves in the worm drive start to mesh with the teeth.
5. As you carefully continue to turn keep the inward pressure and the whole assembly should continue to slide inwards until you get the worm drive right under the trunnion - at this time the whole of the worm gear and the coned end of part 40 should be in view.
6. When in required position and ensuring the coned end of 40 is clear of the rise and fall teeth then tighten the screw 70 to hold it in position.
7. You may have to reshape the pointer, but adjust to fit and check the 45 and 90 degree settings are correctly displayed.

The rise and fall then ought to work as designed so you can put back the other bits you removed.

If access to the screw 70 is difficult then (on my saw) I would have to unbolt the sawdust deflector through the opening in the table top. As you can see on my machine the screw uses an allen key, however it easy to reach from the side of the saw just round the back of the trunnion.

Misterfish

Misterfish ... all's well and repaired !... and nearly perfectly .

The worm refused to pull itself through but after a fair bit of penetrating oil, a few taps with a copper drift then prying in the right direction with a screwdriver blade I got it into position. It certainly didn't want to come! A bit of corrosion inside I'd guess. The only downside is that during the operation the indent for gas fitting 70 has been twisted out of position so the spigot on 70 has nothing to fit into. This may cause a problem if things loosen up but at the moment the spigot pin 70 is bearing on the side of the barrel. It may move but if it does it will be obvious by the angle gauge being inaccurate and I'll attempt to fit it then .

402233090.jpg

402233091.jpg

Thank you very much indeed for your assistance, it's wonderful having a voice from the other side of the world dropping good sense into my ear!! :D :D

Back