A new workshop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorrisWoodman12

Established Member
Reaction score
Built myself a workshop over the summer months from a Lillevilla kit. Six metres by three: nice and roomy. I've already started filling it with sawdust. 20230607_165439.jpg20230610_194851.jpg20230627_114254.jpg20230822_104116.jpg

Built myself a workshop over the summer months from a Lillevilla kit. Six metres by three: nice and roomy. I've already started filling it with sawdust. View attachment 170473View attachment 170474View attachment 170475View attachment 170476
Hi @MorrisWoodman12 ,
Congrats on you new workshop. I am about to embark on the same journey on a smaller model (4mx3m), same 44mm log structure. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.
How are you finding the performance of the building?
Did you insulate it?
How is it dealing with expansion/contraction?
Did you hang anything heavy on the walls?
How did you layout it?

Cheers,
Bruno

Oh... that one I know how to answer. They are interconnected. Check the construction process here.
But that's different to yours. You appear to have tenons on the ends of the logs which seem to be doweled to the corner uprights. The interlocking joints on the video are the same as my workshop. Yours certainly look very neat with no log ends sticking out.
Brian

But that's different to yours. You appear to have tenons on the ends of the logs which seem to be doweled to the corner uprights. The interlocking joints on the video are the same as my workshop. Yours certainly look very neat with no log ends sticking out.
Brian
True, @Yojevol . I missed that detail.
I believe then that this might be the one?

Hi @MorrisWoodman12 ,
Congrats on you new workshop. I am about to embark on the same journey on a smaller model (4mx3m), same 44mm log structure. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.
How are you finding the performance of the building?
Did you insulate it?
How is it dealing with expansion/contraction?
Did you hang anything heavy on the walls?
How did you layout it?

Cheers,
Bruno
@BCS1980UK
Bruno. Hi! Good luck with building your own workshop. It's not that difficult especially if there are two of you. You certainly need another's help for some bits.
I'm not sure how to answer re performance: it's a fancy shed after all. It does the job and does it well. I have insulated the roof (100mm Celotex between the rafters) and the floor (25mm Celotex again wouldn't take more without a step up into the w/s). The floor is finished with floating laminate floor boards that I happened to have kicking about waiting for a suitable job. It's been reasonably cosy this last week with just a 2KW oil filled radiator.
It's been up now for 6 months and I haven't noticed any expansion/contraction issues. However one end is exposed south facing and suffers the prevailing weather from the South Downs a couple of miles away. I've had to silicone every joint on that end, including the horizontal ones along the 44mm wall boards, to stop ingress of rain.
I've put a French cleat one the north wall with some moderate weight things. Haven't noticed any problems - yet!
Layout? A heavy bench against the north wall. Everything else is on wheels so quite variable.
Extras:
I put: extra noggins in the floor bearers; supports for the side fascias halfway along as they seemed floppy; silicone IN the joints around the window fascias to give better sealing and probably half a dozen other little bits I can't recall at the moment.
Try to make sure the wall boards remain 'vertical' at the ends especially if they are a bit twisted. It will look better inside once you've put the internal cover strip on as they'll be fewer gaps. I didn't!
Anything else I can help with just ask. Oh by the way there are different issues of the assembly manual each slightly different and none covering how to do the roof membrane.
Good luck
Martin

In addition to Bruno's questions:-
How are the corner joints made?
@BCS1980UK
@Yojevol
Bruno, Brian. Hi!
I think Bruno's second answer is nearer the mark. My w/s corner assembly is as in my sketch below. There are two screws going into the ends of each 44mm wall board through a 44mm square corner post. You have to be a little careful to get them far enough into the wall boards to miss the top/bottom yet not clag on each other in passing. Does that make sense? The whole corner is covered by vertical boards to tidy everything up. You have to ensure the corner posts are vertical after two or three boards are assembled.
Have fun
Martin
20240125_135438.jpg

@BCS1980UK
Bruno. Hi! Good luck with building your own workshop. It's not that difficult especially if there are two of you. You certainly need another's help for some bits.
I'm not sure how to answer re performance: it's a fancy shed after all. It does the job and does it well. I have insulated the roof (100mm Celotex between the rafters) and the floor (25mm Celotex again wouldn't take more without a step up into the w/s). The floor is finished with floating laminate floor boards that I happened to have kicking about waiting for a suitable job. It's been reasonably cosy this last week with just a 2KW oil filled radiator.
It's been up now for 6 months and I haven't noticed any expansion/contraction issues. However one end is exposed south facing and suffers the prevailing weather from the South Downs a couple of miles away. I've had to silicone every joint on that end, including the horizontal ones along the 44mm wall boards, to stop ingress of rain.
I've put a French cleat one the north wall with some moderate weight things. Haven't noticed any problems - yet!
Layout? A heavy bench against the north wall. Everything else is on wheels so quite variable.
Extras:
I put: extra noggins in the floor bearers; supports for the side fascias halfway along as they seemed floppy; silicone IN the joints around the window fascias to give better sealing and probably half a dozen other little bits I can't recall at the moment.
Try to make sure the wall boards remain 'vertical' at the ends especially if they are a bit twisted. It will look better inside once you've put the internal cover strip on as they'll be fewer gaps. I didn't!
Anything else I can help with just ask. Oh by the way there are different issues of the assembly manual each slightly different and none covering how to do the roof membrane.
Good luck
Martin
Thanks, Martin.

Latest posts

Back