A new collection of planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon

A very good haul.

Is the base a casting or fabricated in some way?
As far as the lack of a front bun is concerned, the front infill looks too low to get any real purchase and the decorative elements in front of the blade, on the side walls, look as though any grip on the fore part of the plane would be uncomfortable. Is it likely that the somewhat large roll to the top of the wedge was used for the front grip? Does it show signs of being handled?

Mike

Bedrock":1rf925f9 said:
Jon

A very good haul.

Is the base a casting or fabricated in some way?
As far as the lack of a front bun is concerned, the front infill looks too low to get any real purchase and the decorative elements in front of the blade, on the side walls, look as though any grip on the fore part of the plane would be uncomfortable. Is it likely that the somewhat large roll to the top of the wedge was used for the front grip? Does it show signs of being handled?

Mike

The top of the wedge has the usual hammer dings but no sign of hand wear. In use it is quite comfortable using your hand flat over the top of the front

Cheers

Jon

Plane no.5 a rosewood infill chariot plane a little larger than the norris.

Needs a bit of fettling on the wedge to get the blade to seat square.

For robin here's a few shavings click on pic for video.

Don't know much about this one . Build is a bit less refined than some of the others but its a nice looking plane.

Cheers

Jon

Plane no.6 A mahogany infill shoulder plane. This was made a friend of the person I bought the planes from. I was told it was made whilst he was doing an RAF apprenticeship during the 50's . The maker then went on to be a cabinet maker using this plane throughout his career. There is finely made hand dovetailed teak box to store the plane in. It's really well made with a tight mouth and made to nice tolerances

Cheers

Jon

Plane no. 7 a beech plough plane. Looks like a marples type but there is no makers name on it works well though and is a nice clean example

Cheers

Jon

very nice johnny!

my granddad did his apprenticeship in the RAF a few years early, sadly no heirloom planes as he was sent to Burma to help fight the japs!

Adidat

I hope I'm not boring everybody. Anyway here's plane no. 8 . Made by marples and stamped Hibernian a sash fillester plane . Its in good useable condition. The nicker blade is missing so when I get time I will make a new wedge and hopefully sort out a blade for it.

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon
Boring , not at all , can't wait to see the rest of the collection . Look forward to your daily post :D keep them coming .

Cheers Bern :D

As above, let's see them all.
But just for the record, that's a moving fillister. A sash fillister is the one with arms (like a plough) so it can reference the near side and rebate on the far side. In my experience the moving fillister is the more generally useful plane.

When do we get to see the green & black ones ?

Lovely haul Jonny, look forward to having a play with them

AndyT":3ag7ox6l said:
As above, let's see them all.
But just for the record, that's a moving fillister. A sash fillister is the one with arms (like a plough) so it can reference the near side and rebate on the far side. In my experience the moving fillister is the more generally useful plane.

Thanks for the info Andy moving fillester it is.

Doug B":3ag7ox6l said:
When do we get to see the green & black ones ?

Lovely haul Jonny, look forward to having a play with them

No green and black although I am tempted. Plenty of stuff to get your teeth into when you next visit with that ags

Cheers

Jon

Plane no.9 a rosewood wedged bullnose plane.

My research has led me to this being an edward preston 1344 bullnose plane. The wedge on mine looks different to the one in the catalogue so maybe that's a replacement. But the plane body looks the same and the iron is edward preston so that's good enough for me. There's not much out there on the web about them so maybe it's not very common so any info anyone has would be good.

Cheers

Jon

A couple of thoughts on the little bullnose... I'm no Preston expert but I do know a couple of useful sources of information, which I expect you found already.

One is the site I linked to earlier - http://www.preston-tool-reviews.co.uk/ - but that does not include all the bullnose planes and nothing like your one.

The other is a reprint of the 1909 catalogue, published by Astragal Press, with a useful introduction by Mark Rees, tracing the company history.
The engraving in there - which serves for the 1344 or 1345 - is not much like your plane. Yours has a distinctive lumpy shape, which I'm sure I have seen on eBay, but I can't name a maker.

Your plane also has an odd looking hole drilled through it, which was nagging me for a while, until I remembered this old post, in a discussion about ugly planes https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post620348.html#p620348 - click through if you dare and scroll down to the fourth picture!

There was a (very rare) Preston bullnose which came with a fence to make it into a fillister plane - the 1347F - so maybe that is what your plane's previous owner was aiming for.

Sorry for the delay but I have been rather busy.

Hi Andy I think you maybe right about the preston it looks different if you compare them directly

Closest I have come across online is this one from david Lyon but still not the same

The hole is quite shallow in reality . It looks like someone has used it as a backing piece when drilling a hole in something. Could be a fence type thing alteration but we will never know.

Cheers

Jon

Back