A new collection of planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
A retiring woodworker in his 80s recently contacted me to see if I wanted to buy some interesting planes that he had collected and used so I went to take a look and bought them off him. I bought 13 in total most which are quite unique and mostly unmarked. I've put the pics up on my instagram feed as well so if anyone is on there there on @jonnydburn

Plane 1 gunmetal / bronze small bullnose plane

The closet that has been suggested is a Edward Preston 1347 bullnose plane in gunmetal which is similar in shape but doesn't have the dimples in it but there are no pics online of the gunmetal version so any help in identifying it would be great.

Plane 2 small chariot plane G Musgrave lincoln

Details showing name and patent metal stamp and the extremely fine mouth.

General views of the plane

After a bit of research I have come to the conclusion that this is a quite rare norris no28 chariot plane that has the musgrave name on it. Norris made planes for musgrave , patent metal stamp was on norris planes, fine mouth and the fact they look identical and one was sold in the recent david stanley international sale which said it was undoubtedly norris made. Incidentally the plane sold in that auction for a lot more than ŵhat I paid for all the planes together.

Thanks for looking any pearls of wisdom gladly received . Will keep updating the thread with new planes as I photograph them.

Cheers

Jon

JonnyD":1z4wja2u said:
A retiring woodworker in his 80s recently contacted me to see if I wanted to buy some interesting planes that he had collected and used so I went to take a look and bought them off him. I bought 13 in total most which are quite unique and mostly unmarked. I've put the pics up on my instagram feed as well so if anyone is on there there on @jonnydburn

Plane 1 gunmetal / bronze small bullnose plane

The closet that has been suggested is a Edward Preston 1347 bullnose plane in gunmetal which is similar in shape but doesn't have the dimples in it but there are no pics online of the gunmetal version so any help in identifying it would be great.

It looks like a patternmakers copy of the Preston 1347.

Congratulations on your haul, if these two planes are anything to go by then you've done well! :-D

I assume this is of interest to some so I will continue . Managed to get some pics of plane no.3 . This is an unmarked rosewood wedge small bullnose plane . The iron is stamped Jowett

Cheers

Jon

Plumberpete":f8nqwzki said:
JonnyD":f8nqwzki said:
It looks like a patternmakers copy of the Preston 1347.

Congratulations on your haul, if these two planes are anything to go by then you've done well! :-D

Cheers Pete that seems the most likely

Cheers

Jon

This just gets better and better!

Your third plane looks to be a Preston bullnose, converted from having a metal blade clamp, to having a wooden wedge.

I think it started as a 1363, looking like this: (pic from http://www.preston-tool-reviews.co.uk/

large1.jpg

2BEFE9AC-5362-465A-8E1D-B4DD85C898AC_zpskz4uxr7h.jpg

but it's had the metal parts removed and the gap very neatly filled in. Possibly the somewhat slender blade holder got broken, or maybe the owner just preferred it that way. Please show us more!

Thanks Andy that looks spot on . Its been done very competently by whoever did it. The rest will be coming I'm trying to photograph one per day. I think we may have peaked early with the quality but there is still some good stuff to come.

Cheers

Jon

Hello tonight's offering is a no5 size infill plane. I think the infill is either ebonised mahogany or beech . The iron is marked I Sorby. Don't know much else about it apart from it looks pretty old to me.

Thanks for looking and again any info or comments most welcome

Cheers

Jon

Thats different Jon never seen anything quite like that before. :mrgreen: Have you tried using it yet , if so whats it like to use ?

Cheers Bern :D

:shock:

That's a serious plane you would look like Popeyes after using that for 5 mins

How thick are the sides?

Adidat

Hi Bern I actually ground and then honed the blade on this one. The back needed a bit more work than I have time for at the moment but it was sharp enough to shave hairs of my arm. It worked really well once the bade was setup :D

Cheers

Jon

adidat":285r9240 said:
:shock:

That's a serious plane you would look like Popeyes after using that for 5 mins

How thick are the sides?

Adidat

She's a bit heavy sides are about 6mm thick

Harbo":285r9240 said:
That looks like a rare collection?

Rod

There not the sort of planes you see everday that's for sure.

Cheers

Jon

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that wants to know, but how much did these beauties set you back?

Adidat

adidat":2qbx17pe said:
I'm guessing I'm not the only one that wants to know, but how much did these beauties set you back?

Adidat

A little bit less than the lie nielsen 51 I bought a couple of years ago

Cheers

Jon

JonnyD":1b06iccg said:
Hi Bern I actually ground and then honed the blade on this one. The back needed a bit more work than I have time for at the moment but it was sharp enough to shave hairs of my arm. It worked really well once the bade was setup :D

Cheers

Jon

Thanks for the reply Jon
Just looks a little strange without a hand hold of any sort at the front. Cant see a problem for edge work i often grip the front with for finger underneath on the sole and thumb on top, but there dosn't look like theres much to get hold of for planing flat boards. Still a very cool looking plane your very lucky to come across this haul :mrgreen:

Cheers Bern :D

Back