A moderately good haul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
My Great Uncle Frank passed away a couple of months ago at the age of 96. He was a carpenter and lecturer in all things woodwork at various technical colleges across the north-west until his retirement, after which he occupied himself largely in his little workshop at home turning bowls and making toys for family and friends.

Any way, on Friday I got a call from his son - my uncle. They were in the process of clearing out his house and had now arrived at the garage and workshop. Did I want to do them a favour and clear out his stock of hardwoods?

I had no idea what to expect but dutifuly went along this afternoon. This is what awaited me.

UncleFranksTimber002.jpg

The old boy had marked up every board in chalk as to what it was. It took me three trips to get it all back to the workshop and dump it in an untidy heap in my timber store. There is a lot of oak, some mahogany and walnut, and around 6 boards of teak dating from before the war.

UncleFranksTimber008.jpg

As if that wasn't enough, look what else I found.

UncleFranksTimber003.jpg

and

UncleFranksTimber004.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My favourite though, was this treadle powered scroll saw which my uncle tells me he used to cut small pieces of wood as a boy in the 1940's. He says it was pretty old then!

UncleFranksTimber005.jpg

Anyway, now its mine and I am going to spruce it up a bit. Does anyone know anything about these things? It is badged 'The Gem'

All in all, not a bad day!

Cheers
Brad

nice haul brad. You could sprinke those wooden planes around the workshop so when visitors come it looks like an artisans studio :D

Jon

I think with all that real wood you might need to change your signature!

Very nice - and a good thing that there's a woodworker in the family who will appreciate / use it all.

JonnyD":2zx6gse4 said:
nice haul brad. You could sprinke those wooden planes around the workshop so when visitors come it looks like an artisans studio :D

Jon

My thoughts exactly Jon!

I'll display them liberally on the walls around my bench to give the impression that I am some kind of old-style craftsman.

God forbid that I ever have to use the pippers! Although if electricity ever becomes a thing of the past I'm well set up.

:lol:

Brad

Hi Brad, nice haul.

I had one of those treadle saws when I was younger. Mine was branded Hobbies. I have an old catalogue somewhere I will look to see if there are any adverts and scan them if you are interested.

Regards

James

Considering you were just a little sceptical about what you would find when I called in this morning, thats not a bad haul! There may even be one or two collectables in amongst those planes.

Dex

Wow what a haul - Christmas has come early! :)

My Dad had a Hobbies Gem which I was allowed to use as a kid many years ago - they used to work quite well from what I can remember.
Must be worth a clean up - it's still got the belt!

Rod

Brad quote

Does anyone know anything about these things?

Like yourself I am new to this, :lol: :lol: :lol: but I would guess that some of the photos show hand tools.

I am sure that someone with more knowledge will be along.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

joking aside, nice lot there and I am sure that you will have some great enjoyment using them and the wood.

Hey Brad, looks like a load of old junk mate. You'd be best just sending all to me and I'll take it off ya hands... no, don't mention it, not too much trouble at all... please? :lol:

only messing with ya, looks like a good haul. Some of that timber might be dried out enough to work on now

have fun

what a bummer brad no mdf :( :( .you do know proper wood has a grain :D :D and is harder to work than mdf. frank

Latest posts

Back