A mad idea????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Perform Dovetailing Jig. The max size of wood it will take is about a foot. I want to join some 20" boards. So thought if I could make a longer guide, say 2' I could make the base out of wood. My mad idea is to use the current router guide as a guide to cut the new 2' guide. I have some aluminum bar the right thickness and width and 2' long. If I clamp the original short length to this aluminum and use a guide router cutter to rout it to shape. Once the first section is done guide could be moved a long to do the rest. Using the the last few cuts as a positioning guide. My question is will a router cutter cut 1/4" aluminum? I guess the cutter will not be much good at the end, but that would be a lot cheaper that a new bigger jig.

Paul

How slow can you make your router run? Your cutter will be ok, it's the aliminium and the workshop that will suffer.

I'd use the existing guidem markout the aluminium and cut the bulk of the material with a jig saw/bandsaw first an use the router to complete the job. Take care at the end of each section as the cutter will chatter as it cuts on 180 degrees of the circle.

Good luck

Bob

I've got absolutely no experience of milling metal but aren't there spiral bits specifically designed for cutting aluminium?

From a practical woodworking point of view, doesn't the guide have to be perfectly positioned to make a tight joint, won't you need to make a jig to hold it?

Where do you live? Perhaps someone would let you cut the joint on their Leigh jig?

WD 40 is not a good cutting lube, a better bet would be parrafin or a bottle of lube from the many model eng suppliers or your local eng supplier.

Would also be best to use the smallest diamter cutter that you have a suitable guide bush for. I can confirm that paraffin or diesel fuel would be the best lubricant.

Bob

Bean":2xh831m6 said:
WD 40 is not a good cutting lube, a better bet would be parrafin or a bottle of lube from the many model eng suppliers or your local eng supplier.

Yes I agree that paraffin is the ideal cutting lubricant, I suggested WD-40 as it may be what most peeps have already in their possession and is quite adequate for limited use.

Martin

Back