A little shaker-esque box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had this box sitting around in component form for around 18 months now, it was supposed to be a dry run for one I finished 14 months ago :oops:

Anyway got round to finishing it off recently, it's a dead simple english cherry leg, maple sides, american cherry top box with a ply bottom and no hinges.

Here's a quick WIP and some finished pics, must upgrade my camera to a digital SLR and find something better to photo on than a dark leather sofa. I have a long weekend ahead to do the man maths :D

Legs are simple square stock with mortices sunk into them, this here shows a side with chamfered tenon, routed slot and spokeshaved curve on the bottom

DSCN3091.jpg

The other rails

DSCN3092.jpg

From there it was straight to the glue up - I somehow managed to not take a photo of the bit where I realised I had glued a leg in upside down. That was a frantic 2 minutes

DSCN3093.jpg

Bit of work with the trusty Philly plane to shoot in the 2 halves of the lid

DSCN3095.jpg

Bit of glueing

DSCN3096.jpg

As the lid is not hinged I needed a way of holding it in place, decided to make an insert that fitted the inner dimensions. I used a piece of quartered cedar which I would leave unfinished to impart a lovely smell to the box that would be released each time it was opened. Put a chamfer on the edges to ease it in, block plane rather than router

DSCN3097.jpg

Insert was glued in place using the Dulux Mk1 paint tin clamp. From there it was masking up the cedar and spraying up with Behlen satin finish lacquer. 2 coats and cut back with 320 grit before the final coat. Et voila

DSCN3108.jpg

DSCN3110.jpg

DSCN3111.jpg

DSCN3112.jpg

DSCN3113.jpg

And sat on top of big daddy who provided some of the inspiration

DSCN3114.jpg

That's fantastic, really nice, simple and classic. Torn as whether a pull on the top would make or break it - I love the simple slab but my first fleeting thought was "where's the handle / knob on the top" - almost as it is missing a very simple thing on the top... confused :)

My mental state aside that's fantastic (and thanks for sharing he upside down leg moment :) )

Miles

Very smart!

And I'm relieved to see it wasn't just to keep a very shiny plane in!

It would make a really good swear box.

Contrasts are nice and I like the design, I feel a new tissue box coming on. :wink:

That looks really nice and it does complement the table very well. I also like the way you've added the insert to hold the top in place. :)

Latest posts

Back