a little help please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
My workshop is eleven metres square and six metres to the apex. At this time of year it is impossible to heat and thus I cannot work in comfort let alone the problems with glues etc. I have decided to build a block wall to divide the shop down the centre and then put a lid on one side to help keep me warm.

The big question is ...If I want to span over five metres what is the best and most economical way of creating a ceiling / floor.
I wish to use the area above for storage. I considered steel 'i' beams but they seem expensive. Is there a box beam construction I could use and what sort of depth / thickness would be required ?

Thanks in advance 'Sue'

You would only need 1 steel joist down the middle and a support leg and then you brace to the sides with 8x2's I did it this way in my workshop and the main span is about 10metres its very strong and we have had cast iron saws and planers up there along with a load of timber. This is a pic of of mine under construction.
mezz-03800x598.jpg

There's plenty of timber engineered beams to consider as well

Cheers

Jon

thanks to the above for the suggestions.

I think that I will put two timber box beams in and then joist between them. I believe this will be the most economical solution and easiest for me.

Next question. There seems to be little on the internet regarding spans / depths thickness etc of these beams. Anyone had any experience or know of a source of info I could tap into ?

looking forward to the responses.

'Sue'

Back