A little disappointed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":1vlj2v81 said:
My apologies Kat.
I was referring to the remark made by another poster (My OP refers to someone who allegedly does not read magazines from one century to the next; or something equally as ridiculous!)

I was merely pointing out that if he doesn't read them how the heck can he judge what's in them!.
Okies?
Sorry again.

In answer to your question, if you write an article or story, the copyright is implicit in the work as soon as you finish. A magazine can't sit on your article, and use it later without your permission. If they do they are breaking the law, and I doubt any would take that risk.
HTH

:)
And I'm still going fishing. :lol:

No issues at all, I'm glad the post has created so much discussion, and thanks for the advice re article writing

P S

let us know what you catch

Benchwayze":1w1eqvje said:
My apologies Kat.
I was referring to the remark made by another poster (My OP refers to someone who allegedly does not read magazines from one century to the next; or something equally as ridiculous!)

I was merely pointing out that if he doesn't read them how the heck can he judge what's in them!.
Last one I saw was British Woodworking (I think that's the name) with the inflatable woman made of plywood on the cover. Somebody gave it me for a laugh. Must be several years ago now.
I went off the comics a long time ago. Before I knew much about woodworking I used to read a lot of them and accumulated several boxes full. When I started learning properly about woodwork I realised how little I had picked up of any value from all those years of comics. I decided to dump them, but tried to save individual articles of potential value. I eventually dumped them too.
I do buy a lot of books though.

Go for it Katellwood. If, like me, you enjoy working with the written word you will find it can be very satisfying. Just don't expect to earn the minimum wage from it unless you have that rarest of talents, the ability to write quickly and straight onto the page in an engaging style and with absolute clarity. You will also need the ability to produce good quality photographs of your finished work and the making processes. In exchange for your relatively paltry fee I think you will find that most, if not all, publishers will expect you to sign away republishing rights.

If all of this sounds like it is designed to put you off, let me say that is not the case, but it is important to be realistic. Margins in this sort of magazine publishing are wafer thin, with magazines run on a shoestring for that reason. The motivation for doing it varies; I think most amateurs do it mainly bcause they enjoy it with some tool money as a benefit. Professionals will often have a somewhat different motivation as exposure in magazines is good publicity, especially for makers who also teach, as many do these days. It may also bring a few sales because a sprinkling of more comfortably off amateurs will also buy from professional makers now and then. if this sounds unlikely, consider the point that the most amateur makers will better undersand the true costs of real quality than the average punter.

As to content, it is a truism that everything has been done before. This is largely true and it is therefore inevitable that magazines will repeat themselves over time and this is as true of woodworking magazines as it is of those devoted to gardening, cookery or pretty much any other subject.

What woodworking magazines do struggle with is the quality of the writing. Most professional woodworkers are not trained writers and why shoulf they be? It is therefore unsurprising that the making processes described in magazines are too often difficult to follow. If that is a talent you have, I am quite certain that you will be welcomed with open arms.

Jim

Back