A Humble Highback Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetWayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After all this watching - studying and asking, I thought I would post up a chair I was asked to create for my daughters 'fine art' collage project (I didn't understand the connection but who are we to argue with these people)

Humble beginnings compared to all of the other projects on here that's for sure! but I've also used this as a 'practice and learning' session and having a go with oil/wax finishing as well ( that's my excuse anyways :) )

A couple of basic Sketch-ups so I had an idea what I was doing.
Stephanie_Chair_2a.sized.jpg

The final 'thing' that was to be included was a 'rubber ducky' theme.
Stephanie_Chair_1a.sized.jpg

Sorry for no WIP's but construction was as simple as it gets I think - even to the degree of sourcing the wood from our local Homebase.

The wood is sold as laminated strong boards for shelving / worktops. I bought one that was tall enough to cut the 3 sections from and wide enough that wouldn't need any more joining. Still ended up with about 2" left.

What they meant with lamination, in this instance, was glued up strips of 18mm x 40mm rather than, as I hoped it wasn't, faced chipboard - so bonus there. I even took the time to fill in the cracks etc. with coloured waxes - again to see how these things blend.

All glued up and in need of a sanding down. Must remember that squeeze out really needs mopping up before it dries as its damned hard afterwards! Most of it dripped inside - so no easy access.
Glued_and_Assembled_1.sized.jpg

After a little advice in the design thread - it was decided to make the stretcher vertical rather than horizontal and to also shape the bottom a little rather than have flat ends to the boards. This was to add more strength and to make it easier to level to the floor - this worked really well (cheers again chaps!).
I couldn't use the off cut I had from the board as the grain was going the wrong way. Luckily I had a piece of hemlock when we had our banister fitted so out came the plane to joint the two pieces together to get the width needed. They were biscuited and glued. Takes a bit to find the join line too :) Also gives it little contrast against the pine. This was held in place by 5mm tenons on each side.

Glued_and_Assembled_The_Underneath.sized.jpg

The 'duck' was a Sketch-up created duck with bezier curves - printed and stuck to the board with re mountable spray glue - spray to the paper - let it go tacky and stick it in position. That turned out to be fierce and needed a bit of sanding to remove the paper afterwards :roll:

One thing I did try was to take another sheet of a4 and stick it in the same way to the back of the wood. The idea being that sawing with the jigsaw wouldn't splinter as much. I used the finest blade I had and took things steady and was quite pleased not to have any splintering on the rear :)

Glued_and_Assembled_The_Duck.sized.jpg

Everything was then sanded down to through 120 to 180 grit with the B&D Mouse sander and a final rubbing down by hand with the grain.

After that - it was all finished with Tong oil - a couple of coats, 24 hours and a rub down between each. After that several good rubbings over with wax (now THAT is a good form of exercise!) to try and get a shine to it.

SDC10274.sized.jpg

SDC10275.sized.jpg

and the duck :)

SDC10283.sized.jpg

Time beat me in the end I think with the waxing as I noticed that after a few days (and I guess a good time to dry) the shine would begin to fade - another buffing up with a loaded pad again would bring it back but I guess using a wax finish really takes a good few coats for it to stay.

Anyways - daughter was chuffed to bits with it - and collage thinks its brill (well that and the rest of the piece its with).

Thanks for reading :)
Wayne.

Very nice - I remember the original design thread,great to see the idea become reality :D

Andrew

Well done Wayne. Just one question why did you put the stretcher vertical when one the drawing it's horizontal, which IMO is more the structural way. Still great job done.

I also rember the design posting, good to see it in the wood. :D

maltrout512":xegchq4e said:
Just one question why did you put the stretcher vertical when one the drawing it's horizontal, which IMO is more the structural way.
I think the vertical stretcher gives a better bracing to stop a for/aft racking of the chair. :-k

Hi all,

Thanks for the positive replies :) - apologies for not replying sooner but there has been an ISP failure in our area - so haven't been on-line #-o

Maltrout - Dave has beaten me to it :) - I was thinking of a horizontal stretcher originally and this is indeed shown in the drawings, but my main worry was if the chair got pushed back whilst being sat on would it have the enough strength not to collapse. Putting it vertically would have a longer fixing point on each end thus making it harder to push. (if that makes sense)

Very nice chair and the bonus was that your daughter appreciated the chair and that you made it for her.

I have never heard of the word "chuffed" before...my mother is a English war bride and I have wrote the word down to use on her.

Rod

Rod in Sarnia":209ivrgn said:
Very nice chair and the bonus was that your daughter appreciated the chair and that you made it for her.

I have never heard of the word "chuffed" before...my mother is a English war bride and I have wrote the word down to use on her.

Rod
Rod - from a google search it gave 'To be very pleased, proud or happy with yourself'

Wayne - ' .... I was asked to create for my daughters 'fine art' collage project' sounds similar to my daughters art project....but somehow it was my fault I had left it to the last week to ask what she wanted (and then her brief which was perspex and mirrors was impossible to make in reality...it needed sketchups zero thickness faces!).
I really like the design of the duck, especially as you did that in sketchup - I need to 'get into' bezier curves etc.

This is my first 'Art' homework that I've 'assisted' with (I've had Music before that!) - but you can usually guarantee that its dropped on you a week or so when it needs to be in by!

With you saying perspex and mirrors - I'm sure one of her 'questions' was something to do with spaces and reflections :)

It did help having one of her rubber ducks to go compare against although it took me ages to draw and a lot of pushing and pulling points (nodes?) around. I think DaveL put it a little into perspective on the original design thread when he knocked up a duck shape in a few mins! I must admit to not going fully with the designs of the tenons on that as my skill level isn't that good yet :)

planetWayne":r1bqc8ap said:
I think DaveL put it a little into perspective on the original design thread when he knocked up a duck shape in a few mins! I must admit to not going fully with the designs of the tenons on that as my skill level isn't that good yet :)
Much as I would like the credit for that, it was DaveR who did the duck tenon.

Back