A home brew finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ankledeep

Established Member
Reaction score
take some rapeseed oil about £3 for 3 litres from asda (actually called vegetable oil....READ THE LABLE )
add 15% white spirit
and as much beeswax as will dissolve.....which wont be much I can tell you

I add enough beeswax so as to leave some still undisssolved in the bottom of the container

sprays well with hvlp, leaves a nice finish on WRC and larch...if left for a few days it actually hardens somewhat on the surface, not quite like a varnish, but of that nature (a bit like danish oil I suppose)

fairly "eco" too (apart from the white spirit )

makes a nice base for further finishing with beeswax paste (also home made ....100g beeswax 100 ml of pure turpentine (get the REAL stuff not turps subs) melt the beeswax..in a bowl over boiling water....and add warmed turps to it allow to set...voilla...paste wax...) beeswax has a high melting point...and wont wash off glass bowls at normal "hot water temperature".....be warned swmbo wont be impressed if you sticky up her best pyrex mixing bowl....DAMNIKT....BE CAREFULL beeswax is Flammable...alarmingly so when very hot...and turps is somewhat "lively" if over heated....

you can brush it on ..its quite mobile so goes in quite well, or rub it on with a lint free cloth.

Latest posts

Back