A Heart Attack Experience

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
norman":2qu5gv1c said:
Still will be a change being restored instead of restoring as I usualy have to do, only wish they would do the full job. with all moving parts nicely oiled or replaced finished with a nice light tan not too glossy thank you.
:lol: If the surgeon does even half as good a restoring job as you do, Norman, you'll be leaping about like a spring lamb in a brace of shakes. :wink: Keep us up to date when you can, won't you? Bon chance!

Cheers, Alf

Hope all goes well, Norman.

icon_lucky.gif

Gill

all the best norman ,will you have to polish up on your chat up lines for the nurses . gill open the door to the bunker :D :D

Roger, I got through my attack because I stamped my feet, waved my arms and refused to go into a state of losing my conscious, so any myth is better than none and you live to tell the tale.

BTW 2005 was it really that long ago. (I was put on a drug trial 6 months ago to lessen the risk of stroke/heart attack, it is a trial over 6 years of intensive tablet taking) I keep you informed daily by my usual dialogue.

Not sure about aspirin only thinning the blood if taken regularly.
I once had a headache in the early morning so took 2 aspirin before going to work. I was installing electrical equipment and cut my finger on a metal box. I didn't notice the cut until a colleague walked in and told me I was bleeding profusely, there was an impressive amount of blood over my work area, difficult to believe it came from such a small cut. I now use paracetamol for headaches.

I once had a headache in the early morning so took 2 aspirin before going to work. I was installing electrical equipment and cut my finger on a metal box. I didn't notice the cut until a colleague walked in and told me I was bleeding profusely, there was an impressive amount of blood over my work area, difficult to believe it came from such a small cut. I now use paracetamol for headaches.
I don't know where you heard that so can't comment but last time I did first aid training - 15 years ago now - aspirin was the only drug recommended for any first aid at all. Headaches and so on you can live with - don't medicate; but the blood thinning properties of aspirin are relatively safe and best given quickly in a suspected heart attack.

I don't know where you heard that so can't comment but last time I did first aid training - 15 years ago now - aspirin was the only drug recommended for any first aid at all. Headaches and so on you can live with - don't medicate; but the blood thinning properties of aspirin are relatively safe and best given quickly in a suspected heart attack.

That is almost the age of this resurrected thread. :oops:

As a former ambo in a village full of old people I've been dispatched to a fair few cardiac events.
It was hammered into us time and again during training and subsequent refresher courses that the first order of business in these cases was to administer a highly soluble aspirin followed by sub lingual GTN. Then you can get on with delivering oxygen, obtaining a 7 lead ECG etc.
Aspirin is an anticoagulant and it prevent the blood platelets clumping together and gumming up the works and GTN is a vasodilator, relaxing the vascular muscle thereby opening up your arterial and venous piping.
Out of the business for a few years now and I hear that the use of GTN is under review. It really disconcerting to learn that all those years of following the protocols may not have been of any benefit to the patient. But I suppose that's medical progress.

Brutally simplified account:
Aspirin irreversibly inhibits the enzyme cylooxygenase. In some cells this is involved in events leading to pain perception. Those cells have nuclei, so can replace the enzyme in a couple of hours.
It also irreversibly inhibits the same enzyme in blood platelets, where it is involved in blood clotting. Platelets have no nucleus, so cannot replace the enzyme. The effect on blood clotting therefore persists until new platelets are released from bone marrow. This can take a while, so anti-clotting effect of a single dose can persist for up a few days.
The anti-clotting effect occurs at much lower dose than analgesic (pain relieving) effect.

More info please
Can't locate it at the moment but Medscape had a well researched article that found that for general purposes, the risks of taking aspirin on a regular basis for the reasons you give far outweigh any potential benefits. I reached that conclusion some years ago and politely told my doctor where to go.

There is a time and a place for it and that is 300mg in tablets by the phone together with your What Three Word location in the event of you or anyone else in the house having a heart attack.

Back